chapter five

"What did you think about Ms. Kelly?" Ms. Denise asked Rhyme.

Rhyme shrugged.

"Well, I heard you smiled," Ms. Denise mentioned.

Rhyme frowned. She returned to her room and sat down on her bed.

Haley looked up from her coloring book.

"Ms. Kelly's adopting me, I know she is. She wouldn't get some dumb mute like you," Haley spat at the girl.

"But I know she wouldn't get some dumb blonde like you," Rhyme didn't look up from her drawing.

Haley scowled.

"So you can talk," Haley smirked.

Rhyme didn't respond.

"Hey Ashleigh! Rhyme can actually talk!" Haley yelled down the hallway.

Rhyme heard steps coming toward the room as she finished coloring Haley's shirt pink.

"Wait, dumbo can? Say something!" Ashleigh walked into the room.

Not until you stop calling me names, Rhyme thought.

"What's wrong dumbo?" Ashleigh fake-pouted.

I'm waiting. . , Rhyme crossed her arms.

"Just say something!" Ashleigh nearly screamed.

"Screaming doesn't solve your problems," Rhyme shrugged and walked out, leaving Ashleigh's jaw dropped.

•••

"Good news Rhyme, Ms. Kelly is coming back again, but this time it's just to see you, not Haley," Ms. Denise smiled.

Rhyme nodded her head, her mind elsewhere.

Earlier that day, Mrs. Cobalt had asked her to stay after school the next day. Her teacher wanted to speak with her, but didn't say what the topic would be.

"I think Ms. Kelly mentioned she was bringing you something, but she didn't tell me what it was," Ms. Denise said.

Rhyme stared out the window with a blank face.

•••

The three o'clock bell rang.

School was out.

"Have an awesome afternoon!" Mrs. Cobalt gave her students high-fives out the way out the door.

Rhyme stayed in her seat, packing up her things as slowly as possible to make it seem like she wasn't staying after.

Once all the other children had left the classroom, Mrs. Cobalt sat in the chair across from Rhyme.

"Hey Rhyme, I've noticed some things on your math, science, and spelling homework. You always put the correct answers, but replace them with wrong answers. You never erase the replaced answers all the way. Can you tell me why you erase them?" Mrs. Cobalt asked.

Rhyme shrugged and looked away.

"Look at me when I'm talking to you," Mrs. Cobalt said sternly.

Rhyme had never seen this side of her teacher; she was always bright and cheery, not even close to a strict teacher. She quickly snapped her head and looked at her teacher.

"Can you answer my questions, please?" Mrs. Cobalt went back to her cheery self.

Rhyme found this scary.

"I don't know, I guess I just second-guess my work," Rhyme shrugged again.

The truth was that she knew she was probably the smartest kid in the class, and didn't want the kids to hate her for that. They already ignored her and talked about her behind her back, and she didn't care about that, but them hating her too? She wasn't too sure about that being a possibility.