chapter eleven

From that point on, Ashleigh did everything she could to make Rhyme's life more miserable than it already was.

Three weeks had passed since Rhyme's weekend with Ms. Kelly. Rhyme hadn't heard from her and was beginning to feel sad. She wasn't quite sure why. She didn't want a new foster mom, but Rhyme couldn't help but miss her.

It was a Wednesday morning. Rhyme had just woken up and began to get ready for school. She was looking for her twinkle toes to complete her outfit. She looked everywhere but couldn't find them.

She was really worried. Those shoes were a gift from Ms. Kelly.

She found Ms. Denise.

"Have you seen my twinkle toes?" She asked.

"No. Where did you last put them?" Ms. Denise asked.

"Under my bed in the shoebox," she replied.

"Are you sure?"

Rhyme nodded her head.

"Did you ask Haley and Ashleigh if they had seen your shoes?" She asked.

Rhyme didn't respond.

"Well, did you?" Ms. Denise asked.

"No. Haley wouldn't tell the truth and Ashleigh wouldn't respond," she said.

"I'll go talk to them," Ms. Denise headed towards the girls' room.

Rhyme tried to protest but Ms. Denise ignored her. She walked into the room to find Haley filling the shoes with toothpaste.

"Well, found them," Ms. Denise said, taking the shoes and throwing them in the trash, knowing they'd be ruined.

"It wasn't my idea, it was Ashleigh's!" Haley whined.

Ashleigh groaned from the top bunk.

"You two are doing your homework as soon as you come home, and I'm going to watch you do it, then you're going to help me take care of the babies," Ms. Denise said.

The girls whined about it. Ms. Denise had already happened to know that neither of them liked babies.

...

Rhyme opened the front door coming home from school. She heard Ms. Kelly's voice in the kitchen. She slowly turned the corner and saw her talking to Mrs. Ballinger.

"Rhyme Taylors, would you like me to adopt you?" Elise asked.

Rhyme smiled the biggest smile she ever had in her entire life. She ran up to Ms. Kelly and hugged her tight.

"I'd take that as a yes," Mrs. Ballinger smiled.

Dang it's been three months since I've updated lol