eleven.

I wasn't quite sure how an office with ten floors could have a party, but apparently, we could

I wasn't quite sure how an office with ten floors could have a party, but apparently, we could. They made it a 'no spouse' type of thing which was oddly specific. The lobby would be the main room and floors three through ten would be closed off for the night. I wasn't sure why the second floor was open, but whatever. Everybody who was anybody would be there, Al B. Sure!, Guy, Mary J. Blige, Christopher Williams, Heavy D, just to name a few. I was pissed that I couldn't enjoy my night and flaunt Marcus in front of DeVanté. That's even if he shows up. I was tired of his slick ways. He thought he had me, but he didn't. Everything is my fault. I let myself get so vulnerable. Not today.

"Baby, you're beautiful." Marcus said in awe, watching me slip on my earrings.

"Aw thank you baby. I wish you could come. I've never heard of a no spouse policy before."

"So would you be mad if I told you that it was a common thing?"

"You're kidding."

"I ain't. I've gone to plenty. People just feel that spouses are a buzzkill sometimes. They ain't wrong."
I cut my eyes and pointed my finger at him, "Don't play with me, Anthony."

"Ooh, I love it when you call me by my middle name. Spicy baby, spicy." he took his finger from his mouth and guided it to the side of his leg, making a hissing noise.

"You're fuckin' annoying." I laughed uncontrollably at him. "I know. That's what I'm here fo'. You pickin' up Mariah?" he asked.

"That was the plan. It's no point of both of us drivin' if she's going to the same place as me."

"You right. Aye though, look. Be careful. Have fun but not too much fun. I'm going over Trey's, so page me if you need me. I love you."

"I love you too. Don't get into no trouble now." I said while wrapping my arms around his neck.

"I ain't." he smirked and went in for the kiss. I hate how a simple kiss always turns into something more.

"Mmm, let me go. I don't wanna be late." I said, removing myself away from him. I grabbed my black faux fur shawl and headed out the door. Mariah's apartment wasn't too far from the house, so that was a blessing. I attempted to go inside the building so that she could know I was here, but to my surprise she was already in the lobby.

"Hey girl, you cute!" she said to me while examining my red dress.

"Thanks! You too." I replied to her. I was so jealous of her haircut because I only WISH that I could pull that off. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

"Hey thanks for coming to get me." she said as we got settled into the car.

"No problem. I'm just glad I'm not alone at this thing, you know?"

"Yeah I can feel it. I still don't know who is who at times." she chuckled.

"I remember those days," I said while lightly reminiscing, "I wouldn't trade 'em for the world though. Definitely a learning experience."