Chapter 3

History was one of those classes Michael had a love-hate relationship with. Where he excelled in Math, he lacked in History. It was one of his lowest grade from his list and it had been ever since he first started high school. No matter what teacher he had, Michael just couldn't seem to get good grades for History. They were enough to make him pass the subject, but not more than that either.

The worst part was where he did have an interest in the subject and he didn't mind learning about certain subjects, honestly. But the tests just were never how they worked best for him. The questions just never made sense. Not until he would see the answers anyway, then he could say 'oh but I knew that'. Not always, but sometimes.

History just wasn't Michael's favourite subject.

And to make things worse today, Michael had to spend the whole of History class sitting next to the one and only Ashton Irwin. Michael wasn't sure why, but the jock was still hanging around him and trying to get on his good side. He was trying to charm him even, at times, or trying to get him to go to the dance with him. But Michael knew better than to give in and simply ignored the jock. Or he replied sarcastically, whenever he knew a sarcastic reply, but that had toned down. For some reason, they didn't come as easy as they did before.

The class went by pretty normal -since Ashton's notes and attempts to talk had become normal as well by now- which Michael was pretty happy about. It wasn't until the last fifteen minutes that Michael felt like he had cheered too early.

The teacher had shushed the class and taken place in front of it again, having a small stack of papers in his hands. Everyone was a little curious, not sure if it was a good thing or a bad thing that was about to be announced. But, the second the teacher spoke, everyone groaned and regretted being curious.

"I will be explaining your next project today."

And Michael found himself to be okay with that. He actually didn't mind them as much, as long as they were doable. So as long as he understood the assignment and could find enough information to make the assignment, he didn't mind it at all. He even remembered that time they had to do a project on an important or well-known historic person once.

The teacher had narrowed it down to a few for them, to make the choice a little easier, and Michael had ended up choosing Cleopatra. He hadn't been sure what her story was, as they hadn't gotten to that point yet, but he had immediately found her interesting. And he rather learned more about a person he didn't know much about yet than someone he knew, like Caesar.

"You will be working in pairs, which, do not worry, I have assigned already."

And cue more groaning coming from the students, because of course, this way one would never be put with their friend. Though, Michael knew their teacher had a certain liking for Michael –nothing creepy, just friendly- and that Michael would no doubt be paired up with Sophia, since she was in this class too. They usually sat beside each other here, but this time Ashton had beaten Sophia to sitting in the spot beside the black and red haired boy.

"I will be calling out the pairs and you can go sit with your partner afterwards. Once you have all found your respective partner, please send one of you down to collect two copies of these," the teacher held up one of the papers he had been holding, "which contains the information about the subject and construction of your project."

Michael felt himself get a little excited, knowing his and Sophia's name would be called out soon, he could get to sit next to her instead of the oh so annoying Ashton Irwin and then they could work on their project. Well, as long as it was a good subject. He didn't want for it to be a subject that would make him dread this whole project.