Chapter 8

The weather was slightly cold and almost a little dreary, the smell of rain still hanging in the air from the small shower earlier. It fit with the event though, considering it was Halloween. The dark evening only made everything seem more scary and Michael kept trying to fight the smile whenever he heard a scream coming from somewhere outside. Now he remembered why he loved Halloween again.

"Oh my, this is amazing. I can't believe you're going." Michael's mother mumbled to herself as she took in her son, who was just grabbing some M&M's to munch on while waiting for Ashton to show up. He fixed the red and white cap on his head, making sure his hair didn't poke in his eyes and didn't seem weird, his eyes meeting his mum's. "Mum, please, don't."

"I need a picture."

"Fuck." Michael mumbled, groaning softly to himself as he leaned on the kitchen counter, not pleased with that idea. After all, he didn't really like pictures of himself and especially not in something that could totally get embarrassing, such as his costume. Even if, he had to admit, that he was proud of it.

"Smile Mikey." His mum reappeared with the camera ready, smiling widely herself. Michael rolled his eyes but forced a smile, hoping she'd settle with just one picture. Of course that was hoping for something impossible, because the shutter sounded too many times after the first time. "Oh this is so great."

The doorbell ringing had never sounded so great, making Michael rush to the door and pray it was Ashton, not some random kid for candy. He tugged on his mostly blue vest a little and made sure his brown belt was correctly in his –for once- light blue jeans, before opening the door, eyes flicking to the green, finger-less gloves on his hands for a moment. "Trick or treat!"

Michael was met with a grinning Ashton, standing in a pose that was rather typical for the character he was displaying. He was surprisingly accurate with his costume, having high, black boots on his feet, with the white trousers tucked in. He had a black belt to hold his trousers up and was wearing a black top beneath the slightly short, long sleeved white top with the familiar, red 'R' in the middle. He had on long, black gloves and held a red rose in his one hand, to finish his pose.

But what surprised Michael the most of the whole costume, was that it seemed that Ashton had –permanently or not- made his hair purple. The same, pastel-purple as James, the man from Team Rocket, that he was going as.

"This is Calum's doing, isn't it?" Were the first words to escape Michael, as he looked down at his own costume once, before back at Ashton, taking his costume in again. He had to admit that the jock really had put effort in it.

"Hey, at least we match. I really liked that idea." Ashton shrugged, but remained grinning. Michael sighed, but smiled anyway, having to admit that he liked the idea as well. It was ironic too, that they were the two enemies from the series. Michael himself being Ash Ketchum, who was always fighting against James. And in a way, Michael had fought against Ashton. He had seen Ashton as the bad guy, but he wasn't all that bad anymore.

"Fine, okay. Let's get going before my mum forces us to take pictures together." Michael said then, quick to make sure he had everything before closing the door behind him. Ashton whined, but led Michael to his car, which was rather old and a little dirty, but surprisingly nice. "That's no fun. Pictures are a great way to keep memories."

The –still- black and red haired boy shook his head, keeping himself from protesting and reaching for the doorhandle to open the car door. Ashton beat him to it though, still grinning and opening the door for him instead. A soft blush pushed itself onto the dark haired's cheeks, his eyes focusing on anything but Ashton as he got in.

Ashton held the rose out to Michael then, the dark haired boy taking it in confusion. The door closed and Ashton ran around the car, getting in on the driver's side, to start the drive towards their school. Michael took the rose in, noticing it was a fake one, but still a pretty one. It even smelled sweet, in a soft, nearly unnoticeable way. He couldn't let himself think it was for him though. It was just a part of Ashton's costume...