PART 5 GHOSTS IN THE MIRROR

"You see it doesn't matter what we are, Sophie...It's what we do."

                  -Lady Lesso
——————————-
Part 5 Ghosts in the Mirror

Sophie never thought it would be quite appealing to sleep on a dusty old bed that was about a few thousand years old, but with her true love's arms around her she couldn't complain.

The school master and her had arrived at a crumbling cottage deep in the endless woods where they'd set up camp, and fallen asleep beside each other when nightfall came around. Rafal shared with her a bit more of his secretive past with his old twin brother Rhian, before they'd settled down for the night, and awoken in the morning with a sense of contentment.

It was early afternoon when Sophie pried open her eyes to find herself wrapped in her husband's chilly embrace and a giant black widow sitting on her cheek. She cried out in shock, swinging out to knock the poisonous arachnid off her face despite knowing even a simple bite from it wouldn't effect her since she was immortal. Still the feeling of it's eight spindly legs crawling across her skin made Sophie shudder and nuzzle closer to Rafal's cold chest.

Her frightened reaction had awoken her true love, and now he was smirking at her, tangling his fingers through her hair. Sophie's face turned red in embarrassment at having him see her silly reaction at some stupid little spider, and she shrunk away like a scolded little kid.

"There...was a spider," She stammered, for she couldn't get the words out with Rafal's beautiful blue gaze boring through her soul.

"Evil's Queen shouldn't be frightened by such an inane little thing that can't hurt her," The School Master said, but he pulled Sophie closer, snaking an arm around her waist. "Queens are supposed to act fearless and strong in front of her people and in the face of danger, but right now you are my wife, so I might just make an exception..."

Sophie felt her heart burn with love for him, and for the first time she felt foolish for once doubting Rafal's own love for her. She'd once thought that she was supposed to be good, and doubted her place in evil until Rafal opened her eyes to her true nature and showed her that they were meant to be together in order to achieve happiness. Evil's love is what showed her that she didn't have to be alone. She didn't have to choose to be Tedros and Agatha's sidekick when she could choose an immortal love with the powerful school master. And if somehow the Witch Of Woods could go back in time she would've chosen the school master her first year at the school for evil when he'd first confessed his true feelings. Sophie would've chosen him so maybe that way she could've maybe just loved him longer, but she needed to think about the present now.

"So, darling. What might you have planned today for our perfect honeymoon, hmm?" Sophie asked, glancing around the dusty room whilst struggling not to focus on the black mold growing in the shadowy corners and the cobwebs on the ceilings.

"I was thinking we could get out of here and see some place more...extravagant. More artistic. I'm sure you'll love it," Rafal told her, and Sophie muffled her sigh of relief.

"Now you're speaking my language," she purred, cozying up to him, the spider forgotten.

It was moments like this particular one that the Queen of Evil felt the most happy with Rafal's presence beside her. They would be together for eternity and if being with her true love meant everlasting love for eternity, she wasn't complaining.

"Get ready, Sophie," Rafal whispered, pressing his cold lips against her knuckles in an affectionate gesture. "I'll be waiting."

Sophie felt bubbly inside as she slipped away from his grasp and started towards the end of the cottage where she found a broken wooden door slightly ajar. It led into a bathroom made up of a wooden tub, glass sink, and toilet. Despite the grim and dust covering every inch of the tiny bathroom, Sophie used the dirtied mirror to fix her hairdo which had become undone overnight. She also pulled on a silky black dress and cloak after carefully stripping her wedding dress off. It was all she could do to get ready, and when she finished, she studied herself in the mirror.

Reaching out to wipe away the layer of dust making its home on the glass, Sophie smiled at her reflection but then froze. A figure stood behind her, a tall impish shadow with short cut hair and hollow sunken in cheeks.

Sophie was rigid in shock as pale fingers stretched towards her and slowly through the sound of her pounding heartbeat, a voice came from the shadows.

"Sophie..." It whispered, and Sophie glimpsed the figure's familiar bug eyes gazing over her shoulder.

Then a hand touched her shoulder. Sophie screamed out, spinning around only to find that the figure's head had fallen clean off its shoulders. The severed head rolled across the floor, bumping into Sophie's feet, and she sobbed, scrambling backwards across the floor to escape it. Just as her back hit the wall behind her, the bathroom door flew open and Rafal burst into the room, concern etched across his cold stone face.

"Sophie, Sophie...hey! What happened?" He asked, concerned, and in a flash he was by her side and holding her close.

Sophie couldn't speak as sobs escaped her throat, tears streaming down her face as she buried her nose into Rafal's shoulder. She slowly looked over his shoulder only to find that Agatha was gone. The ghost in the mirror had simply vanished as if it were nothing more but a dream.

————————
Shout outs to

@kk240706

@KrazyReader17

@auroracms

@Luna_Moon_13

for voting and commenting on this book. Thank you all so much for reading this and supporting this book so far. Sorry if I might've missed anyone or if this chapter is too short. I just wanted to give you guys another update after so long. I love you guys so much!

-Alexis Peters