Chapter 1

Being a high school student wasn't easy. Your brother being Varsity Football captain didn't help. That's right, Reggie Mantle, ladies and gentlemen, the heartthrob of Riverdale High. Gross, I know. Anyway, it's not that bad, he's a good brother. Kind, caring, and protective, but maybe a bit too much. With all the happenings of Jason Blossom's murder and the Black Hood still roaming the streets, Reggie decided to shelter me from the whole Southside/Northside quarrel with the "Whodunnit?" accusations. So I was totally in the dark about almost everything. But because of him, I became good friends with Betty and Veronica, Archie and Jughead treat me like a sister.

Pop's was the hangout place of Riverdale. Whether something good or bad happened, I was at Pop's. I would always see Jughead there too, typing away on his computer as if his life depended on it. I would always hang with him and Betty at the Blue & Gold, but since he moved to the Southside, it's only been Betty and me. "Hey Jug," I smile as I walk over to sit across from him, "Whatcha working on?" I lightly tap his laptop with my finger getting his attention, "Just," he starts, "stuff." He looks at me and smiles, seeing my frown. "Anyways, I wanted to catch up with you. Since you moved I haven't seen you a whole lot." I pout trying to convince him to take a break. He sighs putting his hands up in defeat. "Fine," he closes his laptop and takes a bite of his burger, "how have you been?"

After talking with Jughead, I felt a lot better about him being at Southside High. He told me he made friends really fast, which was strange for Jug but makes me feel a whole lot better that he's not alone. I walk back home and find the front door unlocked. "Reggie?" I call out but hear nothing. Fear settling in, I slowly walk towards the kitchen and jump when my phone rings. Looking at the caller ID I sigh and mentally tell him off. "Hey, sis. You home yet?" I can hear the smile in his voice. "Yeah, I just got here." I answer heading upstairs to my room, "Where are you?" He pauses as if he's thinking what to say, "Archie's" he says after a while, "I needed help with something from school. I'll be home in a bit so make sure you eat." His words make me smile, "I already ate. With Jughead." He takes another pause before saying, "Don't hang out with him anymore. He's a Southsider now." I scrunch my eyebrows confused hearing the hate in his voice, "What do yo-", he cuts me off, "I gotta go but I'll be home soon kay? Love you." I sigh in defeat knowing better than to press on, "Love you too, Reg."

After taking a shower and starting on my homework, my phone buzzes with a text from Veronica,

From: V

Thought you should know what your brother is getting himself into.

with a link to a video. I reply a simple thanks and play the video. I see Archie and a bunch of shirtless guys wearing red hoods behind him, What the heck is this? I watch the video three times trying to figure out if my brother is actually there. Seeing someone with the same build as him, sitting straight up, head held high, just the way he would whenever our parents would praise him whenever he did good in school or football, I drop my phone, it lands just front of me on my bed. I'm about to call him when my door opens making me jump and look to see my brother standing there with a smile that quickly falters. "Hey, what's wrong?" He walks towards me now worried. "This," I say harsher than I intended, "this is what's wrong." I hold the phone out to him, playing the video of Archie threatening the Black Hood. "Gina. This-this is-", I hold my hand up to stop him and sigh. "Reg, he's hurt people, bad, even killed someone! I just don't want you to get hurt." I look up begging with my eyes as my brother sits with me on my bed holding me as if I would fall apart if he didn't hold onto me. "I promise you, I won't get hurt." He whispers as he holds me like he never wants to let go.

The next day was like any other school day. Boring, uninformative, and unnecessary. After school, I text Jug to ask if he wants to meet at Pop's to grab a bite to eat. He replies after a short while.

From: Juggy

Sorry. Can't. I have to stay with my dad today. Maybe tomorrow?

I sigh and frown.

I really wanted to see him today. Maybe...

I smile at my plan before texting my brother saying I was going to be at Pop's for a while, and I head to FP's trailer. I know it sounds like a bad idea and lying to my brother wasn't a smart move but 1. I really wanna see Jughead and 2. My brother would never let me go to the south by myself. So I figure this would be best for everyone. "You lost, Northside?" A deep voice breaks through my thoughts and makes me freeze, I turn to see two guys. One short but built, the other tall and handsome. It turns out it was the handsome one speaking because he takes a step towards me, "You're on the wrong side of the tracks, princess." He tilts his head, smiling, waiting for me to answer. I finally clear my throat and say, "I'm just here to see Jughead, not asking for trouble. I'm his friend." He laughs and opens his mouth to speak again but then, "Gina?" I look and see a confused and upset Jughead. I run to him, slightly hiding behind him. "She said she was your friend," the short one speaks. "She is, but she should not be here," Jug glares at me and I do my best to smile trying to hide my guilt. "I got it, Sweet Pea," Jug finally says pushing me into the trailer.

Sweet Pea? Strange for a big, tough looking guy like that.

I walk in and see FP on the couch, he looks up and stands, "Hey kid. Long time no see." He hugs me and tussles my hair just like he used to when I was younger and I laugh, "Yeah, I just wanted to see you and Jug." He smiles and looks at Jughead, "She also had a run in with Fangs and Sweet Pea," Jughead interrupts, "But," I say putting a finger up,"I was okay. He didn't scare me," I scoff knowing full well he terrified me. I give FP the biggest smile I could and he just laughs, "Sweet Pea wouldn't have hurt her, Jug. He's a good kid." I think about him again and smile.

Sweet Pea. How do you get a name like that? Almost as bad as Ju-,

"Hello? Earth to Gina." Jug says, waving his hand in front of my face to get my attention, I look at him and FP, feeling my cheeks grow hot. "Uh, anyway, Jug did you hear about what Archie is doing? Something called the Red Circle? And my brother is part of it" He looks at me and nods, "Yeah. Some guys showed it to me at school today. He's an idiot." I laugh and agree, FP warns us not to do anything stupid like that until the Black Hood is caught. "I just hope Archie doesn't start pointing fingers at the Serpents," Jug says as he shakes his head. If all the Serpents are as scary as that Sweet Pea, I hope not either. "Well, it was nice seeing you guys but, I should get home before my brother gathers a search party. Jug text me if you find anything else about this Red Circle deal. Reg won't tell me anything, says it's too dangerous" I say walking towards the door, FP nods, "He's right, don't go sticking your nose in stuff like that." "Don't worry Uncle FP, I won't," waving back to the Jones', "See you later!" I call before walking out and heading back to the Northside.