Chapter 3

After Reggie and the boys get back, we all head to class and just as the teacher is about to start, Principal Weatherbee and Sheriff Keller walk in, "Sorry to interrupt, Sheriff Keller and I need to see Archie Andrews in the hallway." I look at Archie confused but remember again how he assembled his own Avengers squad to take out the Black Hood. As he stands, Veronica stands to speak, "I'm sorry Principal Weatherbee, the t-shirts were my idea, not Archie's." I look around and see multiple people wearing a white t-shirt with a legit red circle on them. "This is not about t-shirts Miss Lodge. Please sit down." Principal Weatherbee motions for Archie to head to the hall. I shake my head and start taking notes from the textbook as he walks out. I asked to be excused to the restroom and exit the class. As I turn the corner and see Archie, Sheriff Keller and Principal Weatherbee standing by his locker, I decide to listen to what they're saying.

Sheriff Keller is already speaking to Archie, "I got a tip from over in the southside, saying a Riverdale High School student was waving a gun around in front of his shop." A gun? That couldn't have been Archie, could it? "Said it look like he had red hair," Sheriff Keller continues. My jaw drops, No way! It can't be. He wouldn't. Wait he said in the South? Sweet Pea couldn't have been near there, right? He was with me... "Miss Mantle." Uh oh. I look up and see Principal Weatherbee with his hands on his hips, looking at me questioningly. "Aren't you supposed to be in class?" Busted. "Uh, yes, Principal Weatherbee but, I was feeling a bit parched so I excused myself to the water fountain." I didn't mean for it to sound sarcastic but oops. "Get to class, Miss Mantle." Sheriff Keller says, obviously in no mood for jokes. I quietly excuse myself and head back to class.

Walking to my locker, I can't stop thinking about what Sheriff Keller said. A gun? Archie? In the Southside? This is too much. I see a tall redhead walk by me but I grab his arm in time, "Archie." He looks at me waiting for me to continue. I look around to make sure no one is listening, I lean towards him and whisper, "Is it true? What Sheriff Keller said? Was it you?" He looks a bit surprised and says, "No. I was at home all night working on some songs. Don't worry about it." He turns away and keeps walking. Following his figure in disbelief, I scoff and put my things in my locker. I decide to text Jug to see if he had heard anything about someone waving a gun around in the Southside, mentally hoping Sweet Pea wasn't anywhere near there. I get a text back in minutes.

From: Juggy

I overheard Fangs and Sweet Pea talking about how some Northsider with red hair pointed a gun at them after spray painting a red circle on Sweet Pea's family's shop. I don't know what they're planning but just be careful.

I thank Jug and drop my arms in disbelief, I can't believe Archie could do something like this. And then lie about it. Well, that part I understand but why would he even go that far? I shake my head to try and just get through the day before trying to piece all this together. My phone buzzes again with another text from Jug.

From: Juggy

Hey, I left a folder in the Blue & Gold office and I need it for the article I'm writing about the Black Hood. Do you think you could bring it?

I say of course and ask if I meet him at Pop's after school but he replies instantly.

From: Juggy

No, uh I kind of need it now. Toni and I are working on it together here at the Red & Black and there's some crucial info we need in that folder. I wouldn't ask if I didn't think you could do it. Please, as soon as you can.

I think for a bit, sure I was okay going to FP's trailer but Southside High is a whole other world and it creeps me out just thinking about it. Walking into the Blue & Gold, I see the folder Jug was talking about and put it in my bag before texting Jug I was on my way. School wasn't over yet so I had to make this quick before Reggie notices I'm gone.

I don't' remember the walk being so far. Standing in front of the doors of Southside High, I take a deep breath, I'm already here, just get it over with. I'm about to open the door when a voice stops me, "Back again, Northside?" I turn and see Sweet Pea walking towards me with his arms crossed and a smile on his face, "If you wanted to see me so bad you should've asked for my number." He smirks and I scoff, "I just need to give something to Jughead." He frowns slightly but smiles again, "Why are you so obsessed with him?" I roll my eyes, "I'm not obsessed with anyone, Sweet Pea. He asked me to give him a folder. Now, can you show me the way to the Red & Black so I can get back to school?" I cross my arms waiting for him to reply. He taps his chin pretending to think about it, "Okay," he finally says, "but stay close, don't want anyone taking you away." He winks at me and walks in, I blush but shake my head and follow him in.

The hallways are dim and crowded with groups of students at almost every corner. I notice some people have these weird sticks in their hands, it looks like candy but I know for sure it isn't. I gasp slightly seeing someone stare me down, making me move closer to Sweet Pea, accidentally bumping his arm with my shoulder. "Sorry," I whisper and he barely hears it, he looks at the guy who was staring and glares at him while putting his arm around my shoulders pulling me closer to him. I feel my face get hot and look at my shoes, not wanting to let Sweet Pea see. He opens a door and motions inside, "There's your knight in a weird beanie." He smiles as I roll my eyes, "He's not- Forget it," I throw my hands up in defeat and walk in tossing the folder on the desk Jug was sitting at. He looks up and I put my hands on my hips.

"You owe me Jug." He smiles and opens the folder, "Thank you, Gina. I know, I do. But I really needed this." He lifts a newspaper clipping of a murder of a family called the Conways that happened years ago. I sigh, "Just don't tell my brother." Toni looks at me confused, "Is your brother that bad? The other night you said he would kill you if he found out you were at Jughead's." Jughead and I look at each other as if trying to get the other to speak, I shake my head, "No, he's just, not particularly okay with me hanging with Jug, or being on the Southside at all." I give Toni and Sweet Pea and apologetic look. I look at the time on my phone and see it's almost time for my last class. "I'd love to stay and chat, but I gotta go back now. You owe me Pop's, Jug." I say again to remind him, he just puts his hands up and laughs. "I'll walk you out," I look at Sweet Pea and nod while following him out.