Chapter 6

We walked down the stairs right as Jughead and his friends from Southside High walk in towards a table where Veronica, Betty, Archie, and Kevin stand. As Veronica introduces the students to the school, I look among the new students and recognize Fangs, Toni and Sweet Pea. I stare at Sweet Pea, his black eye still noticeable. "Stand down, Eva Perón," Cheryl says, and all the new students look up at us descending the stairs. I see them look at us confused as Veronica rolls her eyes at Cheryl. "There's the school spirit I so fondly remember", Jughead says crossing his arms. "Cheryl," Veronica starts, "no one invited fascist Barbie with a party." "Wrong, Veronica. No one invited Southside scum to our school." Oh no, I thought, this is gonna be bad. "Listen up, ragamuffins, I will not allow Riverdale High's above average GPA to suffer because of classrooms that are overcrowded with, underachievers." Everyone looks shocked and annoyed. "So please, do us all a favor and find some other school to debase with your, hardscrabble ways?" She finally stops talking. Toni steps forward, "Why don't you come over here and say that to my face?" "Gladly! Queen of the Buskers," as Cheryl steps forward, Archie stands between them. "Okay, guys," he says, "Everyone, can't we put our Southside/Northside differences apart and start over, a new slate?" Reggie puts his hand on Archie's shoulder, "You don't speak for the Bulldogs, Andrews." He leans in a bit but doesn't bother to lower his voice, "Need I remind you these greaser snakes showed up at your place, trying to beat your ass?" "Happy to finish what we started," Sweet Pea starts walking towards Reggie but Jughead and Fangs pull him back. "Enough, Reggie! Cut it out!" I finally yell standing between him and Sweet Pea, my hand on Sweet Pea's chest. Everyone looks at me surprised. "What the hell, Gina? Who side are you on?" Reggie now stepping towards me. Noticing my hand still on Sweet Pea, I remove my hand and take a step back away from my brother "I-I'm on no one's side." I look at the Sweet Pea and he smiles at me defending them from my own brother. "I just don't think it's fair how you're all treating them as if they don't belong. Their school shut down so they're here now. They have every right to be here as you do, Reggie." I look down as I finish speaking, afraid of Reggie's reaction. I feel arms wrap around me. I look up and see Jughead holding me protectively. Reggie stares at me, "We'll talk at home," pointing a threatening finger at me as he leans to Veronica, "You traitors picked the wrong side." He walks away with Cheryl and their party, and all I could do was hang my head in embarrassment and fear.

Sweet Pea puts a hand on my shoulder, "Nice going, Northside. Your brother's an asshole though" He smiles down at me. "Yeah," I look to see Toni walk up to me, "Thanks for that." I shrug my shoulders, "It was nothing really." The bell rings, signaling class was about to start. I wave at the group and begin walking away until someone stops me. Seeing that it was Sweet Pea I smile, "Need something?" He scans my face, thinking of what to say, I arch my eyebrow waiting for him to speak. "No, I uh," he starts, "was wondering if you could show me around the school?" I laugh and nod my head, his smile widens and he drapes his arm around my shoulder as we walk down the hall beginning our own tour of Riverdale High. We almost ran into my brother three times and each time I would push Sweet Pea into the nearest opening and lean against the wall with my arms crossed (like that wasn't obvious, right?) "Hey, kid," he would say, "why aren't you in class?" I would have to make an excuse just so he could leave and I could repeatedly apologize to Sweet Pea for basically throwing into an empty classroom.

During lunchtime I decided I would sit with Jughead and his friends, not wanting to admit I wanted to near Sweet Pea. I walked to the table where Jug, Toni, Fangs, and Sweet Pea were sitting and sit next to Toni. As I sit they look at me and smile, "Hey, Gina," Fangs speaks up, "I heard you gave Sweets here his own personal tour. And shoved him in the janitor's closet." He laughs and the rest look at me trying to hold in their laughter. I open my mouth to respond but see my brother walking down the steps with Chuck and Moose looking for a seat. I gasp and duck behind Toni and Jug hoping they don't see me. Fangs and Sweet Pea look confused until they turn and see Reggie. Jug sighs and looks at me, "He's gone, and no, he didn't see you." I peek out and see him on the other side of the courtyard, I sit back on the bench, I run my hand through my hair and sigh. I feel Toni rubbing my back and Jug speaks, "You can't just avoid him the rest of your life." I look at him, "I'm not avoiding him, and I'm definitely not embarrassed by being with you guys, it's just if he sees me he'll go berserk and I won't be able to stop him this time." I see Sweet Pea's jaw clench as I talk about my brother's short temper. I shake my head and change the subject, "Anyway," trying to lighten the mood, "how's your guys' first day going?"