Chapter 5

I stand and begin to pace back and forth worrying about Reggie, Archie, and Sweet Pea. Wait. What? He's a Serpent, I'm sure he can take care of himself, I mean look at him. But I can't help but worry about him. Veronica suddenly stands, "I'm going to go crazy in this house. Let's go." She grabs my arm and the keys to Archie's dad's truck, leading me out the door. "Didn't Archie say to stay at the house," I barely whisper not wanting her to become angry. "He did," she starts, "but he forgot I'm a Lodge. We Lodge women never stay put." I slowly nod and remain silent for the entire ride.

We arrive at Sweetwater Bridge, quietly get out of the truck and stay at a safe distance to not be spotted by any of the boys. The rain was pouring down aggressively, hitting the ground so loudly, I couldn't hear what Archie was telling the other Bulldogs. I see Sweet Pea and sigh a small breath of relief seeing he is uninjured, for now. He confidently walks straight to Archie and I watch in horror as Archie nails Sweet Pea with a right hook causing him to fall the ground. I unconsciously scream seeing him fall, thankful that the rain drowns out my voice. I begin to freak out seeing the fight take place, I can't tell who's who until Sweet Pea stands and knocks Archie down. My brother quickly runs to his aid and begins punching and kicking Sweet Pea. I couldn't watch anymore, but instead of looking away, I run towards them yelling, crying for them to stop. I push my brother off of Sweet Pea, not realizing what I may cause. "Gina?!" My brother yells, "Get the hell out of here!" "Please stop," I practically beg, making my brother utterly confused, looking from me to Sweet Pea. He becomes furious, screaming for me to leave. Sweet Pea grabs both sides of my face so I can look at him, "Please, leave. It's dangerous here. I don't want you to get hurt."

The concern in his eyes is genuine, real. Not a second later, a gun goes off, I cover my ears and close my eyes, opening them when I feel a body over me, holding me, protecting me. I look up and find Sweet Pea's eyes, "You okay, Northside?" I nod and am ripped from Sweet Pea's embrace, hearing my brother yell at him, "Don't ever touch my sister again, got it? I even see you near her I will end you, snake." I look at Sweet Pea glare at Reggie as he drags me to his car. He gets in the driver's seat and speeds off, leaving me to look at Sweet Pea from the side mirror, slowly disappearing from view.

"What the hell were you thinking?" Lecture time. Great. "Veronica told me-", I start but am cut off a Reggie raises his hand to stop me. "Don't try to pin this on her. You could've stayed in the damn truck. That stunt you pulled was so dangerous, you could've been seriously hurt. And then what?" I look down hoping he doesn't actually want an answer. Thankfully he continues, "How do you think it looks when the captain's little sister is defending scum like that?" I begin to feel anger rise up in me, "He's not scum." I barely whisper. Reggie leans in, "What was that?" I look up, angry, no, furious that he doesn't understand, that I don't understand. "I said he's not scum," I finally snap, "None of them are! They're the nicest people I've ever met! You say that because you pick fights, and give them a hard time! If anyone is scum, it's you, Reginald Mantle!" I storm to my room, leaving my brother speechless and fuming. I slam my door allowing myself to fall to the floor, letting my tears and sobs take over me.

I wake up in my bed, my hair still wet from last night's downpour. After a quick shower, I get ready for school and head downstairs where my brother was already eating breakfast. Not looking at him, I walk into the kitchen and take an apple from the counter and head to the front door. He grabs my arm but releases it as soon as I turn to look at him. "Let me take you to school. It's still early, you can eat something more than an apple." I shake my head and turn to the door again, "No thanks," I say. "I can walk."

Halfway to school, I get a text from Jughead.

From: Juggy

Southside High just announced it was shut down. And most of us are going to Riverdale. Just a heads up so you can keep an eye on your brother.

I smile thinking about seeing Sweet Pea in the halls, at lunch and maybe having a class with him. I text Jug back with a short thanks and arrive at the school. I'm in class with my brother and a few Bulldogs when the speakers turn on and every conversation is silenced.

Weatherbee's voice boomed through the speakers, "Effective immediately. Southside High has shut down. The students will be transferring to different schools, Riverdale being one of them. Please welcome our new students." That's why Jug texted- "Dammit!" I hear Reggie next to me yell, pulling me out of my thoughts. "What happened?" I asked, "Didn't you hear? Those Southside snakes are coming to ruin our school!" He yells angrily. "Not if I can help it." We turn to see the Queen of Riverdale herself, Cheryl Blossom. Her red lipstick brighter than ever, her lips in a smirk one knows only brings trouble. "I have a plan Reginald, to show those miscreants where they stand in this social hierarchy that is Riverdale. Care to join me?" Arching her eyebrow invitingly. "Hell yeah, I'm in." He says as he stands, and I mentally prepare for whatever Cheryl's twisted mind might have in store.