s e v e n

Chapter Seven

Missy

     It wasn't long before I heard the familiar whirring of one of the shuttles the Kymari used for transport. Immediately following the sound were energy blasts and iron rods that shot down at the sicora below. Their squeals of pain were silenced as they all suddenly started convulsing before falling over as the life left their bodies. As frightened as I was, I was pleased to see the sicora dead. The feeling was gone as quickly as it appeared.

     Kate and I clung to Victor as if he were our lifeline as the shuttle lowered to the ground. The entrance to the shuttle opened and five Kymari guards came out, all armed to the teeth.

     I was struggling to breathe fear engulfed my tiny form. Kate wasn't any better. We were both scared to death now that we were going to be taken into captivity by the Kymari. Since we were two females without mates, they wanted to train us to hunt sicora since we wouldn't affect the population.

     Victor held the both of us to his chest. His steady heartbeat told me that I didn't need to be afraid, but allowing myself to be captured went against my instincts.

     "Do not fear," Victor murmured, "No one here will hurt you."

     His words were comforting, but I was still terrified. Memories of my past replayed in my head like a scratched CD. All I could see was my father and how he stood over me, his face twisted into that familiar sick smile. I could still feel the pain of that day, albeit not physically. I knew he was dead, he was killed in the first invasion just like every other human, but he still haunted me all these years later. If I were still a human, I would be crying.

     My eyes were closed tightly as I pressed myself into Victor's warm chest. Over the many weeks we'd spent together, I'd learned to trust him completely. I knew he would never intentionally harm me or Kate, and I knew he'd protect us to his last breath. I knew this, but the fear of the unknown was still there.

     "Please don't let them hurt us, Victor." His tight grip was very reassuring.

     "Never."

     "The coast is clear, you can come down now," a voice shouted from below. I cautiously peeked down at the five Kymari men who were all staring at us. With us perfectly secured in his arms, Victor climbed down the tree and landed safely on the forest floor. I kept my face buried in his chest as the scents from the other Kymari reached me. I couldn't look, not yet.

     "Wow," I heard one of them whisper, "I can't believe you managed to find two wild fire-lizards. I thought the ones in the park were the only ones."

     "I wonder if there are more."

     "Look, the red one has a pretty nasty scar! Who would do that to them?!"

     I tuned out their voices, only focusing on the sound of Victor's heartbeat and Kate wing that was draped over me protectively. I was quite surprised Kate was calmer than I was. I was usually the one comforting her, but now the tables had been switched. She was protecting me like the big sister I never had. My love and appreciation grew for her even more. I don't know what would have happened to me if it wasn't for Kate.

     Victor entered the shuttle and sat down in one of the seats. Kate and I didn't move. I could feel lots of eyes on me, and I didn't like it one bit. I wanted to hiss and growl at them, but I was afraid.

     "They're going to have to get checked out by a vet. I'm especially worried about that scar on the red one, looks like it was pretty serious."

     Victor rubbed my back soothingly, stopping to momentarily uncurl my wing to inspect my scar. It was so bad my scales never grew back over the area, but I was grateful the bullet didn't shatter the bone. I could still fly, so the loss of some of my red scales was nothing to me. He gently rubbed his thumb across the old scar. His body shook with suppressed anger. I'd never shown Victor my scar during the time we spent together; it'd never crossed my mind to do so. With this being his first time seeing it, I knew he was angry.

     "How come they are so close to you, Victor? The ones in the park don't tolerate us at all."

     I could see Victor's neck flush.

     "Well, I've spent weeks gaining their trust. At first, they were just as elusive as the ones in the main park, but over time they warmed up to me. I know it was wrong of me not to call it in the first time I'd spotted them, but I didn't want to risk them running away and us losing them."

     I remained quiet, only opting to listen to their conversation.

     "Usually that would have gotten you in trouble, but I understand your reasoning, so I'll let it slide." The five Kymari gasped as s screen suddenly slid down from the ceiling of the shuttle. Kate and I looked up curiously. On the screen was a very, very old Kymari. His muscular body was covered in white lines. Those lines that only came when a Kymari as at the end of their life. I knew that he was referred to as an Elder and that he was highly respected.

     The six Kymari men all stood up and bowed to the man. Victor held us close as he showed his respect.

     "I am sorry to have withheld such important information, Elder, but I was afraid that if I told anyone, they'd rush to capture the fire lizards and risk putting them in high levels of distress."

     The man on the screen nodded, "As I said before, I understand your reasoning. But you must know that now that you have two fire lizards in your care, I expect you to take good care of them and keep me updated weekly. As you know, if any harm ever comes to those fire lizards, no one will be able to protect you."

     I was shocked to hear Victor be threatened by the Elder Kymari. My blood started boiling and my vision took on that familiar red hue I got whenever I became angry. I wrestled my way out of Victor's hold and hovered in front of the screen. I then proceeded to growl fiercely at the elderly man.

     "Missy!" Victor gasped, "Don't be so rude!"

     I turned to glare at the Kymari.

     "I will not tolerate anyone threatening you! I don't care who they are! That's my job and my job alone! You're mine!"

     Victor suddenly gasped in horror, and I quickly realized my mistake.

     "Oh no," Kate whispered.

     I had just screamed into everyone's thoughts.