e i g h t

Chapter Eight

Missy

     All was quiet. No one moved and some barely even breathed. I stayed hovering in the air as regret enveloped me, but it was soon replaced with the intense need to protect both Kate and Victor. I released a loud battle cry as I readied myself to flame everyone who wasn't Victor. They all knew. I felt that familiar fear I'd felt when Victor stumbled across us, only this time, it was much more intense. Everyone suddenly became a threat, and I was determined to eliminate it.

     "She's getting ready to flame! Get down!"

      I released a long line of fire down on the Kymari below, but being the fighting race that they were, they expertly evaded me.

     "Missy! Calm down!" Kate screamed, no longer keeping her thoughts secret. I was shaking with fear as I continued to scream, fireball after fireball being released from my mouth. The shuttle shook violently as the five Kymari ran in every direction, trying to avoid my flame.

     Images of the humans and my father engulfed me. I could see him laughing as he kicked me repeatedly in my ribs. I could see my mother cooking and leaving me with only table scraps. I could see those small cages that held me against my will. I could see all the carnage from the first invasion and feel the pain from the bullet that shot me down from the sky. My life replayed before my eyes and my instincts screamed at me to keep flaming. Escape and run away!

     "I won't let you hurt us!" I hissed, "Never again will I allow anyone to hurt us!"

     My voice was desperate as I screamed this.

     Something bumped into me from behind I turned around with a screech of anger and fright, scratching at whatever dared to touch me. Kate shrieked in pain as she covered her eye with her hand. I froze as I stared wide-eyed at my best friend. I had just hurt Kate. My heart plummeted and I wailed loudly. All of my anger and fear seemed insignificant to the regret that swallowed me whole.

     It was as if everything disappeared. I didn't see the Kymari who were frantically working to put out my flame, I didn't see the Elder whose eyes were as wide as saucers as he demanded answers. I didn't even see Victor as he got on his hands and knees and apologized profusely. All I saw was Kate, and the wound I'd inflicted on her. The strength left my body and I let myself fall out of the air. Kate, being the forgiving person that she was immediately forgave me. She caught me as I fell out of the air, wrapping her wings around me and humming softly.

     Victor immediately grabbed the both of us and I buried myself into his chest, creeling softly in sadness.

     "It's okay Missy," Kate whispered, "You didn't mean it, it's okay. I promise I'm not mad at you."

     Her soft words made me feel even worse. How could I hurt such a beautiful, forgiving person? Why was she forgiving me? I didn't deserve any of it. I had blindly flown into a rage and had hurt my best friend. I promised a long time ago I would only use my claws and flame to protect those that I loved, and I had just broken that promise to myself by hurting Kate.

     "Elder, I am very sorry for what you've just witnessed. I take full responsibility for Missy's mistake. The dragonets have kept their intelligence hidden for years because they feared for their lives. Missy was afraid. She didn't mean to hurt anyone. Please, forgive her, please Elder."

     Victor held us close to his chest as he bowed to the Elder. The elderly man's face was one of contemplation as he thought over his decision.

     "I would have never guessed that the dragonets had intelligence. This changes and explains so many things. I need some time to think, Victor, take them both to the vet. The green one needs immediate attention. I will get back to you in a day's time."

     The call ended and the screen lifted back up into the ceiling. Once again, it was quiet. I cautiously peeped out at the other five Kymari who was staring at me in shock and fear. The inside of the shuttle was black, having been charred by my flame. Some of the cushions had burned completely, forcing some of the Kymari to sit on the floor.

     'Look at what you've done!' my father's voice entered my head. I whimpered fearfully, prompting Victor to rub my back soothingly, 'You cause trouble everywhere you go! You never do anything right!'

     'You should have never been born!'

     When I was a child, I'd never believed those words. I believed that everyone had a purpose in life and had a reason for being born, but as my heart drowned in grief, for the first time in my life, I believed him.

Short chapter, sorry, but it seemed appropriate to end it here.