f i f t e e n

Chapter Fifteen

Missy

     The room became quiet as every pair of eyes glared intensely at Kate and I. Although fire could not burn me, I felt like my scales were being burned by the intensity of their gazes. The elderly lady shook her head in disbelief, a scoff leaving her lips.

     "Surely you're not being serious?!" she nervously laughed as she stared at me.

     When no one said anything, she stood up, her eyes blazing.

     "I require proof; otherwise I shall not believe a single word that you have spoken today!"

     Kate squirmed out of Victor's hold and walked towards the middle of the table. Wanting to offer support, I joined her, nuzzling her softly. Closing her eyes, she opened the mindlink to the Kymari.

     "What the Elder said is true. As of now, I am speaking directly into all of your minds. We are not mere mindless animals. We are aware."

     The female Elder who looked ready to pass out sunk like a sack of potatoes into her chair. Everyone looked about the same, except for the Kymari who did know. I sighed as I sat on my haunches, looking towards the guard I saved with my venom. His neck flushed as he caught my stare.

     "T-thank you for saving me," he whispered, "I really thought I was gone back there."

     He seemed embarrassed that he was talking to a winged lizard.

     "You're welcome," I whispered into his mind. His face flushed even more and he quickly avoided my gaze.

     "I think he has a crush on you," Kate whispered into my mind. My eyes widened and I glanced back at the guard, seeing his face immediately flush. I grinned as I looked back at Victor who looked very unimpressed as he glared at the guard. I slightly spread my wings as I sent Kate a playful wink which she returned with a roll of her eyes.

     "I would have never thought that there were animals capable of understanding us Kymari," the woman spoke softly. Every eye turned towards her.

     "This answers so many questions," she whispered, a laugh leaving her. Her eyes found mine and I held her intense gaze. She stared at me a moment before taking a deep breath, fixing her composure.

     "How did you know how to cure him of the sicora venom?"

     For a minute, I remained quiet, thinking back to that time before the Kymari invaded.

     "It was shortly after the humans were wiped out by the White Aliens," I started, casting a nervous glance at Kate. She nuzzled me softly. Sighing, I began retelling a story I'd rather keep buried.

     It had only taken a few days for every ounce of anything that spoke of the human race to be completely wiped off the face of the earth. I sat beside Kate, perched in a tree, watching silently as a family of white Aliens fought off a wild sicora.

     The woman cried softly as she held tightly to her baby, standing fearfully behind her mate as he crouched down into a fighting stance, standing protectively in front of his family. I wanted with everything inside of me to flame that wretched beast, but my wing was not in flying condition and neither Kate nor I wanted to be noticed by the sicora or the White Aliens down below.

     "Please, let's just run! We can't take on this sicora!"

     The man scoffed, "Quiet, woman, this is only one sicora and I can handle it! Just watch me!"