Chapter 10: Oh Klaus' Vienna

"Is this meant to be impressive?"

Klaus looked up almost lazily from where he had Kol in a grip lock as simply as if he were reading a newspaper.

"Oddly enough, it might not be for your benefit, love."

"Oh, come on, Nik, listen to your lover. Or is it unrequited lover, or simply arm candy?" Despite his position, Kol still looked and sounded as cocky as ever.

Caroline clenched her jaw shut. "I take it back, go for it, he's a terror."

"Thank you."

"Come on, we're going shopping." Rebekah stated firmly, pulling Caroline past the brothers vicious antics.

Klaus watched avidly as Caroline's expression cleared to one of happiness.

"Really?" She said enthusiastically.

Rebekah's face mirrored hers, and Klaus pondered, not for the first time, just how well Caroline and his baby sister would get along were it not for the weight of Mystic Falls drama hanging over everyone's heads. "I know how deprived you've been of the finer things, especially if you've been travelling with my brother. His taste is nothing compared to mine."

"That's nothing. I've been travelling with literally this and another shirt." Caroline said in exasperation, gesturing to her jeans and t-shirt.

Rebekah's lip curled. "No. We'll have to replace that and find more for your travels. Bye Nik, bye Kol." She called as the two blondes whirled out of the suite, closing the door and leaving the brothers in their fight.

Klaus unlocked his arm from around Kol's neck, hoping his baby brother would continue the fight. He needed to take his frustration out on something, and it was very easy to blame his siblings for distracting Caroline away from him.

Kol coughed, before righting himself and shaking out his limbs.

"It's been a while since we've had one of these, brother. You sure you don't want to wait till Caroline get's back, so you can show off again?" He grinned.

Klaus smirked, pacing back and forth like a caged lion. "Come now, I'm only saving you more humiliation. You wouldn't like to be bested in front of your sister and the lovely Miss Forbes, would you?"

Klaus feigned a direct punch to Kol, knowing his brother would duck, and whipped around to slam his elbow into the younger Mikaelson's back. Kol landed on the floor, using Klaus' moment of amusement to kick his legs out from underneath him, sending the hybrid sprawling. He snarled in retaliation, clenching his hand around Kol's throat, lifting him off the ground as Klaus steadied himself on his feet again.

"You haven't improved much since the 19th century."

"And you're still far too cocky in a fight, brother." Kol wheezed.

Klaus threw him back to the floor in a crash, letting Kol pick himself up off the ground while he fetched the whiskey from the bar cabinet. He poured a large glass, leaving the bottle on the table for Kol.

"Ah, it's that time again. The moody Klaus is back." Kol quipped, pouring his own drink and settling on the couch opposite his brother.

Klaus ignored his remark, downing half of the burning amber liquid.

"Moody contemplative Niklaus. Wonder how darling Caroline's stuck around for this long." Kol got no rise from his brother, and he knew that Klaus must have been sinking into a very dark mood if he didn't even rise to Kol's taunts.

"Come on, Nik. What's going on in that funny head of yours."

"None of your damned business, Kol."