Chapter 33: Breathless Preparations

"Nik?" Caroline called as she walked through the maze that was the Mikaelson mansion. "Klaus?" She had no patience right now, her patience at almost at an end. She was just inhaling breath to call his name again when she finally walked into the second lounge room and found him sketching by the fireplace.

"Kl-hello? Did you not hear me?"

"Of course I heard you, Caroline. I think the whole of Mystic Falls heard you." He sighed, but he already had a small smirk on his face that took some of the bite out of his words. He looked up at her. "Weren't you on an expedition with Rebekah today? I believe I recall being told that I was not the proper company."

"Your sister is charming, but unbearable." Caroline huffed. "And I have a real crisis on my hands."

Klaus set aside his notebook and stood with his hands clasped behind his back, looking at her expectantly.

"Rebekah is trying to drive me insane, I swear." Caroline ranted, pacing back and forth in front of Klaus. "We have been over the plan and the concept time and time again, and still she keeps complaining about the bridesmaid dress I'm considering for them, and I keep having to go to store after store after store for a wedding dress. I have been looking at dresses forever. And none of them are working." She growled. "This was supposed to be nice relaxed thing! Instead, I want to murder something." Caroline frowned at her words. "Like a pot plant." She elaborated, fighting against her vampire self that really just wanted to rip into something slightly bloodier than a pot plant.

She glanced over to Klaus to find him chuckling slightly.

"It is not. Funny." Caroline said lowly.

"I know, I know." Klaus admitted, laughter still present in his voice.

"Then stop laughing!" Caroline said indignantly.

Klaus opened his mouth, thought the better of it, and shut it, controlling his face into a smile that melted Caroline's icy expression slightly. She couldn't stay mad at him for long. Not when he was doing the puppy face.

"This was meant to be something where we could just be us and celebrate the fact that we'll be together forever," Caroline sighed, pacing again. Klaus stopped her by clasping her gently by the shoulders and waiting for her to meet his eyes.

"It is exactly that." He assured her. "If Rebekah is giving you grief, I'll handle her."

"But its not just that." Caroline sighed, burying her head against his chest. "It's the dresses. They're all boring and overdone and just not right. And I don't want just another dress. I want that whole Princess Grace of Monacco on her wedding day elegant hotness."

Klaus raised her chin gently so he could see her face again. "You outshine the stars when you're simply dressed in a sheet, angel. It won't be a problem."

Caroline smiled at the compliment, but otherwise didn't look too convinced. Her eyes widened with an idea, and she turned the puppy dog look on Klaus.

"Could you please show me the trophy case of family collectables and see if I can dig out something of royal caliber? Like the first dress you gave me for the ball?"

"To be fair, love, Rebekah assisted a little with that too."

Caroline sighed. "Beks is lovely, but I can't stand another minute of her. And I would much rather you show me."

Klaus tilted his head and gave her a smile. "How could I possibly say no to you?"

"You spoil me." Caroline beamed, reaching up on her toes and kissing him.

"I know." He answered, taking her by the hand and leading her back through the maze of rooms.

"I didn't actually think you had a treasure trove." Caroline commented as they walked into a room she had never seen before, floor to ceiling organised knick knacks taking up some of the space. Alongside a large ornate wardrobe, there were a few locked wooden chests, a couple marble statues of characters from Greek mythology, square and rectangular packages that were clearly protected paintings, and – oddly enough – an ornate instrument that she assumed was a lute.