Chapter 16: Welcome Stranger

"Hello strangers." Rebekah's familiar drawl welcomed Klaus and Caroline into the stunning Italian villa. Caroline had forced her mouth to stay shut despite the gorgeous countryside, romantic vineyard and magestic mansion that they drove up to. She had also resolutely opened the car door for herself and picked up her bag before Klaus could reach it.

Caroline walked through the door and continued to blank any gesture Klaus made towards her.

"Fancy seeing you here." Kol said from the stairs he had paused upon. "As I recall, you were meant to stay in Paris for a week."

At the mention of the romantic French city, Caroline made a small growling noise in the back of her throat and, yanking Rebekah by the wrist, dragged her up the stairs past Kol.

"Just show me the guest room."

The two remaining Originals listened to the girls clatter up the oak stairs and slam a door. Kol turned to his brother with a Cheshire grin.

"Trouble in Paradise?"

"Unless you want to find out what your feet taste like when shoved down your throat, I'd advise to keep your mouth shut."

"Niklaus," Klaus recognised the low tones immediately. Elijah. Klaus sighed. All of the remaining Mikaelsons under one roof. This was going to end chaotically.

"Unless I'm mistaken, I heard the lovely Miss Forbes voice." Elijah appeared from the study in his usual attire – immaculate suit and all. "What have I missed?"

Kol glanced at Klaus. "May I?"

"Go ahead. I dare you." Klaus grated. He figured it would be a simple way to find an excuse to start a violent fight. Particularly when it was against his immortal annoying younger brother.

"Klaus has turned into what I've learnt nowadays is labeled as a 'pussy', and in courting the fair Miss Caroline has lost all hope and arrogant self confidence. My guess as to what happened in Paris was that he attempted to seduce her and failed, and/or in one of his usual tempter tantrums offended the dear girl. Well, Nik?" Kol choked out, for Klaus had casually stalked over and wrapped his hand around his younger brothers throat, squeezing progressively tighter.

"When I do this hard enough, Kol, I wonder, will your throat snap first, or just explode?"

"Niklaus," Elijah repeated in an exhausted way. "Stop terrorizing Kol and answer the question."

"Yes, please, I'd love to know if Caroline is up for grabs." Kol chuckled breathlessly, scrabbling at Klaus' hand when it clenched around his throat.

"Kol – " Elijah said warningly, but Kol still had a glimmer of cheek left in his bright eyes.

"Tell me, brother, did you get a chance to see how she was glorious she was in bed, or will that be my pleasure first?"

Crack.

Kol crumpled to the floor, but it wasn't enough for Klaus, who snarled with golden eyes searching for his next victim. Elijah placed sturdy hands on his brother's shoulders.

"Calm yourself," He cautioned, and Klaus listened to him for a change, slowly inhaling and exhaling air.

"How much of his teasing is true?" Elijah asked Klaus when his eyes were blue once more.

Klaus shrugged him off, hoisting Kol over his shoulder and placing him on the couch so he at least woke up well.

"Niklaus?" Elijah tried again, but was ignored once more as Klaus sat on the opposite couch with a leather-bound book. Elijah sighed, but did not admit defeat, deciding to wait out the silence. It took merely five minutes of standing attentive and waiting patiently with his eyes trained on Klaus' unmoving face. Finally, Klaus heaved a heavy sigh.