aftermath [p.p.]

Y/N - your name
Y/L/N - your last name
Y/H/C - your hair color

Word Count: 1.2k+

A/N: I'm considering making this a 6-7 part series, what do you guys think? (This would be the first part ofc.)

Warnings: Kinda sad I think, description of injury, death

Summary: You and the Avengers just finished defending New York in an alien attack, but something went wrong.

•••

You weren't really gone. Not to Peter Parker.

The fight in New York came to an end a few mere minutes ago, with all of the Avengers clustered up in silent exhaustion. Well, all but one.

Well, technically, you were still there.

Technically.

Everyone gave each other hugs and friendly slaps on backs in celebration for ending another alien attack. The enemy was gone, defeated, dead.

The cheerful noise died as Clint frantically asked, "Wait, where's Y/N?"

Of course he'd be the first to notice. Not Tony even though he mentored you; training you and Peter was more of a passing time, a hobby that didn't quite require full attention 24/7. Not Peter even though he was your best friend and boyfriend; he was too excited and proud of his team for defeating freaking aliens, (heck, he already took off his mask the second the last alien was killed). Not Wanda, probably because she didn't want to notice she couldn't hear your thoughts. Not Bruce, or Thor, or Natasha, or Bucky, or Sam, or Rhodey, or Vision, or Strange.

It wasn't their fault that they didn't notice until Clint said something. They were exhausted and wanted to think everyone made it out alive, so they assumed that's exactly what happened.

No, it was Clint who noticed. He had his own family. He knew he always had to do a head count, (yes, even if it meant the Avengers).

Everyone stared at each other, sharing worried glances. There was no way they could look around the entire city as fast as they wanted. Peter chucked, trying to hide his nervousness and ease the tension. "It's okay guys, she probably just got lost again. She always gets lost in the city, remember?" His voice faltered as he saw part of a familiar suit with familiar hair underneath rubble, just behind the crowd of the heroes.

Everyone froze, too afraid to follow his gaze. That was when they knew. That was when realization hit them all at once, all at the same time.

Suddenly Peter was there, kneeling as he moved as much rubble as he could off of who he hoped wasn't you. There was no way it could be, right? Anybody in New York could have Y/H/C hair and wear the same suit as you. There were plenty of fans to buy plenty of costumes imitated to look like any of the Avengers.

It couldn't be you. It couldn't. You were Y/N freaking Y/L/N for Christ's sake. You were a superhero. You lived in the compound with all the other superheroes. There's no way you could be gone, just like that. That wouldn't be reasonable. Superheros never die.

Right?

Hesitantly but rapidly, everybody helped Peter remove pieces of buildings and car parts off of the unmoving body underneath it all. Eventually, there was nothing between your body and the Avengers' eyes.

The suit Tony made you was torn in some places, exposing your cut and bruised skin. Your eyes were half-closed, fists still clenched as if you were ready to wake up any second and put up a fight.

"F.R.I.D.A.Y." Tony spoke up to his suit, nobody daring to move in order to allow their silence to aid their hearing. "Tell me Y/N's vitals."

It was silent enough for everyone to hear the voice speaking to Tony. Peter didn't know much about vitals, but according to everyone's grim faces, he knew something was wrong, that something didn't make sense. F.R.I.D.A.Y. finished what it was saying, but then spoke up. "Heartbeat detected."

Peter's eyes shot up, immediately turning his full attention back to you, shaking your body. "Y/N. Y/N! Wake up!" He didn't want to admit it to himself, but he saw that you were hurt bad. Really, really bad.

His back was turned to his teammates, not being able to see that they knew what was going to happen. A couple of them turned to face the other way, knowing they wouldn't be able to bear seeing it unfold. Suddenly, they heard a sharp inhale from who they knew was you. Everyone turned to see, slowly crowding around.

"Y/N," Peter sighed in relief, lifting you slightly to hug you as tears were already streaming down his face. He then moved around so your head was resting on his lap as everyone else either kneeled or stood to see you. "OhmyGod, Y/N, I thought you were dead," he chuckled nervously.

You gave him a small smile, then looked around to see your loved ones. You knew what was going to happen too, realizing that nobody had the heart to tell Peter. They decided to give him the moment. "Oh, Peter," you murmured. You tried not to let any pain show on your face, and also not to bring attention to the piece of shrapnel you were very aware of being lodged in your stomach, being the only thing keeping your guts inside where they were supposed to be.

You slowly moved a hand to cup Peter's face, guiding his head to move down so you two could share one last kiss. "Peter," you began.

"No no no," he interrupted. "Hang in there, okay? We're gonna get you back to the facility so you can get fixed up and rest and-"

"Peter."

He stopped. He knew he could only listen. He had to listen.

"I am so, so sorry," you said, not having it in your heart to directly say you were sorry for having to die and put them through grief. They knew, though. They knew.

You looked not just to your beloved boyfriend but also to those who you knew you could call family just as much as your own. At this point, everyone was kneeling in a circle around you, straining their ears to hear your near-silent words and doing their best not to show their tears.

You knew what the boy was thinking, so you moved your hand to grip his own, trying not to feel the pain. "You're going to be okay," you continued, looking deep into his eyes. It broke your heart to know you'd inevitably break his. It broke your heart to know what he's going to have to go through.

You knew your time was limited, so you had to choose your words wisely and tell them quickly. You spoke every word with all the meaning of your life. "I'll always be with you. Don't beat yourself up."

Everyone chuckled bitterly at that. You always said that, especially to your boyfriend.

"Move on. Tell my family I love them. Please remember that I love you, and you made me the happiest I've ever been." At this point, you could feel your words taking the life out of you. You continued, trying to keep your mind full of happy memories, refusing to let your last moments be filled with pain. As you spoke, you reminded yourself that you've loved and experienced life and happiness and you lived. "If you need me, you can always talk to me in the stars, day or night. I'll be listening."

Peter smiled, sadness in his eyes. You always loved stargazing and the like.

"Thank you all so much for everything. I'm content with everything. I love you. I love each and ev-"

Suddenly, the warmth and silkiness of your voice stopped.

It was like a light bulb being controlled by its switch. Suddenly flicked off. Suddenly.

Suddenly.

You were gone.