a temporary home pt. 3 [t.h. & h.o.]

Warnings: swearing, lots of arguing, a bad ending
Word Count: 4.1k
A/N: thank you to everyone for being so patient! i took a well needed break, for sake of my mental health, but i am back with the next part for this mini series! don't forget to give me feedback and tell me what you think might happen next!

•••

Tom sat up in his bed, staring blankly at whatever his television was playing for him. He was too pent up in his thoughts to focus.

As soon as he heard soft snores come from Harrison's room, the brunette swung his feet off the bed. He stared at the ground for a moment, contemplating if this should really be done.

"Ah, fuck it," he told himself.

His socked feet padded over carpet then soon the hardwood floor after leaving his room. He slid them one beside the other, hoping the floorboards wouldn't creak and possibly wake his best friend. He knocked softly on your door, hoping there'd be no answer coming from you. It would be an acceptable excuse for not talking to you like he should, right?

"What?" your voice groggily called from the other side of the door.

"Damn it," Tom whispered. Now he actually does have to talk. He cleared his throat. "Y/N? It's Tom. We need to talk. Are you decent in there?"

He heard a mumble from you, which he hoped was a yes. He slowly turned the doorknob and welcomed himself in.

"What do you want?" you mumbled on your bed having clearly just woken up, faced away from him. "I'm sorry about Beth, okay? You don't have to talk to me because Hazzy said so, I know you hate me."

He rolled his eyes at your use of his friend's nickname, but pushed aside his annoyance and replied. "I guess I wasn't being too fair on you, so I'm sorry."

You slowly turned your body over to face him and pat the edge of your bed, signaling to Tom that he could sit. He did.

"Erm," you started. "I'll forgive you if you forgive me about Beth?"

He stared at you, ready to get this over with. "Alright." He stood up again and clapped his hands together, satisfied with this outcome. Easy. "Sounds like a done deal to me."

He took a step towards the door, ready to get some rest himself.

"Wait, Tom?"

God fucking dammit, he thought.

He turned around. "Mmm?"

You blinked. "You didn't deny hating me."

He blinked back. How the hell was he supposed to reply to that?

"Uh. . ." What was he supposed to say? Yeah Y/N, I didn't deny it because it's kind of true?

You chuckled and sat yourself up. "Do you think you could tell me why? I've got to have done something, right?"

He sighed and rubbed his face. To put it nicely, you weren't his favorite person. Of course there's more to it, but those were reasons he wasn't comfortable sharing.

"It's just me," he lied. "Not you, me. Can I go now? I'm tired." He took another step closer to the door.

You let out a dramatic sigh. "Tooooooom. C'mon. Be a good sport. What is it?"

He turned back around, ready more than ever now to put you back to sleep his own way. "I've got more energy to sleep, not hurt your feelings, Y/N." There. That was truthful.