Chapter 24

They stared at each other for a long time. Finally Uncle Obi broke the silence. "I am almost afraid to ask about the world you come from, young one, but based on what little I've observed I'll hazard that the Order is doing well there?"

Leia nodded. "Yes, the Order is stronger than ever - as is the Republic."

He stroked at his beard, it was such a familiar habit of his she could not help but smile as she watched. "Ah, I am heartened to hear there is a universe out there where they are both flourishing." He made eye contact with her, the blue of his eyes strangely washed out by the blue-white light that made up his being. "May I ask who your Master is young Padawan?"

"I am apprenticed to Ahsoka Tano, a Knight of the Order." Leia noticed that Obi-Wan was shocked by this fact. He hid it well, but she knew him too well to miss it.

He gave her a tight lipped half smile, the corners of his eyes crinkled with affection. "I am sure Ahsoka makes for an exemplary Knight and teacher."

Leia nodded, and then even though he had not asked, "just as you are the perfect Master for my brother."

The wave of sadness she had felt earlier returned, washing over the room. Heavy and thick. He did not respond to her statement, other than to look away from her, gazing at some unknown point in the distance.

She had waited long enough to start to ask questions.

"Uncle Obi, how are you here? How can you be here now if you are One With the Force?"

He nodded, and gave her that half smile of his once more. "The means of retaining oneself in the Force was discovered by my old Master, Master Qui-Gon Jinn, and then shared with both myself and Master Yoda."

"Master Yoda? Is he also able to manifest himself in this manner? Could I talk with him as well?"

He laughed. "No, no, Master Yoda is not dead quite yet. To see him you'll have to travel to the Dagobah system."

"He's alive? Maybe... maybe he can train Luke!"

He nodded. "Yes, yes, I agree, that is a very good idea. He'll be very happy to see you. Very happy indeed."

She wasn't alone! Uncle Obi was with her, even if he was more translucent than she was used to, and apparently Master Yoda was here as well.

She'd remember to ask him more about how this was even possible, how one could both join with the Force and remain who they had been in life. She had no doubts about the nature of this strange new discovery, if both Uncle Obi and Master Yoda were willing to practice it, there was no way it could belong to the Dark Side. Yet as much as she wanted to know more about how this technique of his was even possible, she knew that would lead to a rather long conversation and there were far more pressing matters to discuss.

"Uncle Obi, how did my father fall?"

His smile vanished, and the Force pulsed with agony. "I thought you might ask." He shook his head, just slightly. "I have asked myself that question many times over the years, and have never arrived at a truly satisfactory answer. It was his choice of course, his and no one else's, but what led him to that choice..." He was lost somewhere in the past, his eyes not seeing the room they were in, or her there with him, "all I can say with certainty is that I missed much of what Anakin was going through, and was not there for him when he needed me to be."

From what Leia had seen in her vision, he had done everything he could to bring her father back to the Light. Besides, if someone fell it made no sense to blame the people around them. To do so would be to suggest that any being in the Galaxy ever was responsible for their loved ones turning on them, hurting them.