Chapter 34

She was enjoying Ventress's exercises far more than she'd expected.

The strength training was practical, and fun in the same way she always found her own self imposed exercise regime to be.

It also helped that she was clearly far better at the tasks Ventress set for her than had been expected, based on the hums of approval the pale woman would make when Leia quickly and easily adapted to each addition to the training session.

"My husband, a Jedi Master already when we met, took issue with these tasks when I first demanded them of him," Ventress said when their session drew to a close. "It is interesting that you find this so much easier than meditation. The two tasks are not that dissimilar, and yet..." She grinned. "You are a fascinating student indeed, Leia Organa. I look forward to continuing your training."

"But...?" Both Ventress and Leia turned to Ahsoka, confused by her single word addition. "Sorry, that sounded like a statement that is followed by a 'But.' I want to know what that but is."

"...But," Ventress paused, giving Ahsoka a quick glare, "my comm went off while you were training, and unfortunately I must depart for now."

Ahsoka frowned. "You're taking jobs? And prioritizing them over training her?"

Leia wondered if the two of them even noticed how the power dynamics between them were playing out. For all of Ventress's bluster and prickly attitude, she had deferred to Ahsoka on every matter so far. Even when she had been leading Leia's lesson, she had sought Ahsoka's permission. Yet Ahsoka still was acting as if Ventress were the one bullying her around.

Ventress rolled her eyes. "No, Knight Tano, I am not taking bounties at the moment. My Husband commed me, requesting my assistance with a mission for your Order. I must go now and take care of whatever situation he has gotten himself into this time."

There was a shout somewhere in the square, followed by hushed chatter. A slim blue skinned Twi'lek woman was running towards them, a frown on her face. "Ventress! Ventress, there you are! We need to go, and go now!"

Ventress watched the woman rapidly approaching with a calm facade. Before she reached them, Ventress gave Leia a bow.

Enjoying the way her muscles were screaming in protest, Leia bowed back. She had always loved how alive and in touch with her body she was after pushing herself to her limits.

"Obviously I can't speak to any talent with the Force, but if you need any assistance at all, I assure you I am very skilled with a blaster," Leia said as she straightened.

Both Ventress and Ahsoka seemed surprised by Leia's offer. Leia did not know why anyone would think she would not want to get involved.

"No. No, you are not ready yet for a mission such as this," Ventress said, the underpinning of regret clear in her voice.

It was that regretful tone that convinced Leia to stay where she was, rather than push to join them.

"Right." Ahsoka nodded. "Ready to head to the Naberrie family apartment then?"

Leia nodded in response.

Truthfully she would rather deal with this emergency with Ventress, she could do with some excitement, but since that did not seem to be an option she'd go wherever Ahsoka asked.

Ahsoka began to walk away from where Ventress stood, and it was clear she expected Leia to follow her. Leia gave Ventress a second respectful bow, the move now surprising the Twi'lek woman who had just reached their group, before she set off after Ahsoka.

The pace the tall Togruta was setting was not a particularly easy one after the training she had been engaging in just moments before, but Leia did not complain in any way. She was determined to meet every expectation set before her in this time of training, so that she might return to her home dimension as prepared as possible to take on Palpatine.