Chapter 6

As a wise teacher had once said, 'when you're in a hole stop digging'. Today really wasn't my day, but I seemed completely unable to let go of the shovel, and, as a result, was digging myself into a deeper and deeper mess.

WFS< that teacher also had rules against 'deeper and deeper', and 'round and round', (double superlatives) but I'm ignoring them.

In fact, at the rate I was digging, I was soon going to re-surface on the other side of the world!

It seems as though Roslyn //does// remember what happened last night, I thought with a groan. I'd been hoping that she might have forgotten, she had drunk quite a lot last night, but clearly not enough. That meant she remembered seeing him kiss me...

If I was a dog I'd have growled loudly, as it was I was struggling to hold one back.

"Anyway," she said, clearly sensing my mood and trying to dodge the subject - she was being ..., which was a change for once. "It was really cool how you got that car going, how'd you do it?" She asked, genuine interest in her voice.

I grinned at her, "my brother taught how to drive a few years back," I explained, "so although I haven't taken my test I'm pretty good at driving."

She looked at me, and tilted her head slightly to the left and raising one eyebrow. "I wasn't talking about the driving, I was talking about how you //started// the car."

I groaned inwardly. Well damn! I hadn't used a key to start the red disaster - I'd hot-wired it. Something else my brother had taught me as a matter of fact.

I guess now would be a good time for a proper introduction:

I am Sara Robson - or at least that's what all my legal papers say.

Or should I say illegal? They are all top quality forgeries, I can assure you of that...

I'll start again.

My real name is Ash Quelle-Dita-Veloci. The youngest in a long line of thieves, hackers, and forgers. My family tree can't be traced back on anything like ancestry websites but we've been around since the 1300's, and in that time we've had our hands on just about every national treasure you can name, and many more that have been forgotten.

We're not just thieves, we're professionals.

And last night I'd made a mess. A big fat mess. One that was unforgivable - I'd risked exposing my whole family. In half an hour I'd made more mistakes than I'd ever made in my life.

And Roslyn had payed attention to some of them.

I looked at her, my eyebrows slightly furrowed, "I took the keys from his coat" I told her, "it was left hanging in the cloak room by the exit, they'd left the door unlocked." Almost everything I'd said was true - his coat was in the cloakroom, and it was unlocked, and if someone had looked his keys would have been in there too.

The best way to lie is to try to keep as close to the truth as possible.

Roslyn looked at me, not fully convinced, and I prayed for a miracle. A miracle that miraculously appeared in the form of Georgia opening the bathroom door.

**************************

WatchingForShadows

Thanks for reading! I'm sorry it took so long for me to get this chapter out - I had serious writers block, followed by exams :'( But I'm hoping to update things more regularly.

Please vote and comment!

XXX