Chapter 5.

Betty Cooper

Believe it or not, I am not excited for our first day at Beacon Hills High. We're juniors, and since we're new, we have to go to school with all the freshman a day before everyone else. And along with that, it seems that this town is really...boring.

I mean, don't get me wrong, Riverdale was...nightmarish, but at least there was something to do. Before the whole Jason Blossom thing happened, my entire life revolved around Archie Andrews.

Pathetic, right?

I discovered that I liked writing, and sleuthing, and solving mysteries. I never would have found that in me if it wasn't for the darkness in our small town. I'm not too worried, though. Jughead can pretty much find a conspiracy theory in anything.

Jughead, V, and I all have the same class for first period, so all four of us walked to the English wing. As a simple kiss goodbye turned into a Varchie make-out, I rolled my eyes, gave Jug a look and walked in.

 There was only one other person in the room, a scrawny guy with light brown hair sat in the front. I couldn't tell what sort of clique he was in, really. He looked book-smart, based on his clothes. He had a galaxy-patterned shirt on, which fit him very loosely, and black skinny jeans, with an oversized blue hoodie. But his posture and face gave away the impression of..Emo? He was slouched down in his seat, with his bangs hanging over his eyes, with a black beanie on his head.He had sunken eyes, with dark circles, and he literally looked like he wanted to kill himself...or someone else.

I got a warm feeling in my chest, and I involuntarily shivered. Jug grabbed my hand, and walked straight up to him.

"Hey, kid, beanie's are my thing."

When did the morbid, tormented writer become the approachable one?

"Umm.." His eyes glanced from Jug to me, back and forth, and he seemed physically unable to talk.

"I'm kidding." Jug laughed, sitting down a seat behind him on the next row.

The kid looked at Jug and I's intertwined hands, and he looked genuinely depressed.

I sat down in the seat in front of Jug, just as the teacher walked in, with Veronica in tow.

*

"Ok, so what's your name?" Jug asked, taking out a bag of chips. The kid grimaced, and turned towards us, V now behind the kid.

"Just...don't laugh."

"Why would we laugh? It can't be that bad."

"It's Farkle."

As soon as the sentence came out of his mouth, Jug choked on a chip, and started coughing, and V busted out laughing. As soon as he recovered he joined Veronica, and Farkle rolled his eyes.

"I said not to laugh."

I put my hand on Jug's arm.

"Jughead, stop." Both Jug and V stopped laughing.

"Wait." Farkle smiled for the first time. "Your name is Jughead, and you're laughing at me?"

Jug tilted his head, and V busted out laughing again, but at Jughead this time, and I joined her.

"Fair point."

Jug looked like he was about to say something else, but the bell rang, and V ripped me away from Jug and Farkle, and we walked to Spanish.