Infatuated

After my decision, the dinner went fairly pleasantly after that. 

"Consider it already done." Carlos half smiles, almost pleased by my decision...as if he had hardly any pity at all towards Marie. I still held onto some hope for her, but that doesn't excuse the fact of what she deserves.

"You seem pleased." I comment absentmindedly.

"Well, eventually, you learn to tell the difference between a just punishment and a reckless one. You wanted to take reckless pity on your stepmother, but you had to consider how deserving she is, and what risk she gives to the Kingdom...a Kingdom that will be yours quite soon. You put your pity and your emotional aside for the safety of your people. I am pleased at your judgment more so than getting to punish your ungrateful witch stepmother." He replies, serious at first...but by the end he was evidently amused. "You're off to a good start, but there's much for you to learn. Luckily for you, I can have some of the ladies of the house teach you about the expectations of being my wife." 

I ball my hands together nervously, looking down to my lap. "And what of the...werewolf side of things?" 

"I will teach you personally. It will give us plenty of time together, and I am looking for an excuse to be around you already." He smirks broadly and then stands, having finished his meal. "For now, I think you deserve  a little rest. Don't you?" 

He approaches my side of the table and holds out his hand generously. "You've had to deal with enough in the past few days. Let's take some time to enjoy ourselves, and then when your father is safe, Marie is nowhere to be seen, and your wolf has fully unleashed itself, we can focus more on the future." 

"My wolf side?" I interject. That was practically all I had heard. 

"Yes, your wolf side isn't fully unleashed until your body has adjusted to transforming. When that's the case, you can turn to a wolf completely without a struggle. You'll barely notice after a while. You won't even question changing by the time we're married." He takes my hand in his and begins to lead me back to my room. 

"And...how soon would that be?" I reply anxiously. 

"Well, after however long it takes to publicly court you...and then however long it takes for you to learn all that you need to know. I'm sure it won't be long after that." He speaks thoughtfully to himself. "I figure, by the end of next month we'll likely be married." 

I stumble slightly at his response. "Will we even have enough time together in that time? Enough time to get to know each other?" I'm utterly baffled, but I suppose, when you're in royalty, your relationships have a deadline when your father wants to leave the throne and your family prefers both a King and Queen to take their place, rather than one inexperienced son on his own. 

"We'll have plenty of time." He laughs. "Every, single, day. Trust me, Princess. You'll be fine." 

"You sound awfully confident in yourself." I roll my eyes, but let out an unstoppable smile. 

"Well, I am yes." He admits proudly. "I can't help it when I'm already unbelievably fascinated by you." He stops outside my room. "Not to mention, it isn't a challenge to fall for looks and intelligence such as yours. I figure I should count myself lucky, and you're the one that gets unlimited riches and immortality out of this deal." He winks exaggeratedly. 

"My looks?" I gasp. 

He simply stares in dazed amusement. "Perhaps, I should speak a little less and focus on one topic at a time until you get your bearings in order." I know he didn't mean it as an insult at my listening skills. It's simply a gist at my multiple mentioning of getting my bearings straight in his presence, but I scoff nevertheless. 

"I would almost count that as a rude comment, but I'll let it slide." I pull my hand away from him, struggling to hide my obvious smile. 

His handsome smile captures me regardless, and I can't help but let him grab my hand back in his before he brings it to his lips. He plants a soft kiss on the top of my hand, his sparkling brown eyes watching me while he does so. 

I blush ruby red. I have to admit it. I just can't help it! 

"Are your bearings in order yet?" He dares to ask with a chuckle. 

I gasp, my mouth open in astonishment. "Carlos!" 

"Well, if they are, remember that I like much more about you than just your looks...I don't want you...to feel terrible about being with me, or assume that I won't genuinely care for you during our time together." His eyes are deadly serious, and I quickly find myself completely enchanted by his gaze. 

He simply breaks out into a smile, and reaches behind his back. Before stepping back away from me he hands me a red rose miraculously out of nowhere. "I'll see you later, my princess. Now read your heart out until tonight. Tonight, when you turn, I want you to meet me in the garden." 

"A-alright." I agree, taking the rose, my cheeks matching their colour. As he makes his leave I slink back into my room and shut the door. Leaning up against the door, I slide to the bottom, breathing excitingly. "What on Earth is happening to me?" I groan to myself. 

I know he's a werewolf. He took my life away from me - unintentionally and not directly, but still. His proposal was the least romantic I had ever imagined, and yet...why do I continue to become more and more breathless every time I see him? 

It is almost as if I wish to marry him now. 

It is almost as if fairy tales have been real this whole time. 

But, I am still waiting for the earth shattering moment every novel has taught me to expect.

The worst surely hasn't happened yet...This fairy tale ruse is giving me false hope. 

I stand from the door, promising myself aloud that I will stay on my toes. I may be infatuated by him, but there's no reason for me to trust Carlos yet. Not quite yet.