27:: The Next Step

•Third Person pov•

Something bad was about to happen.
They didn't know what, but every member of the batfamily could feel it in their bones the second they woke up from their peaceful slumber.

No one spoke of it though.

They didnt mention the fact that the breakfast table was engrossed in an uncomfortable silence.

They didnt mention their slightly elevated heart beats.

They didn't mention their constant alertness, or that their eyes darted around the room.

They didn't know what was going to happen...but they knew that when it did it was going to be big.

Bigger that the cities they, as well as their fellow superheroes, protected.

It was going to change the way they, and countless others, lived...forever.

And they couldn't do anything to stop it.

If you were to ask the members of the batfamily 30 years from now what they thought of this day... they would have answered with "It was a grim day. One that kept us on the edges of our seats, one that we wished would never come."

Dick, Jason, Cass, Steph, Tim, Damian, and Marina all sat quietly in the living room.
The tv played a show none of them were really paying attention too, it was mainly just on so the noise would fill the silent void that had filled the manor.

The soft patter of rain fell against the window behind them, and dark gray clouds in the sky cast a gloomy mood across the skyline of the city.

Marina looked at all of her siblings and Damian from the corner of her eye. She found that all their eyes were zoned into the direction of the tv, but few were actually looking at it.

She let out a silent sigh and asked to no one in particular. "Do you guys feel it?"

She received no verbal response but got one none the less:yes.

With their senses heightened because of their constant alertness, they heard the soft scrape of the grandfather clock gently grazing the old, hardwood floors as it swung open.

Curious, they all stood from the couch and walked in the direction of the clock to investigate.

Normally, someone going into the batcave would be something they'd ignore because it was a constant occurrence in their house, but today was different; something could be wrong.

They walked into that batcave to see Batman and Superman having a hushed conversation.

"Do you know why they need to talk to us?" Superman asked
To which Batman replied "No. They said it was extremely important though-" he stopped talking, knowing that all his children were eavesdropping.

"What's going on?" Marina asked

"Superman and I will be having a confidential meeting with the UN. You are under strict orders to stay in the manor until further instructions are given- and no Tim that does not mean you can hack the UN to eavesdrop on the meeting. Am I clear?" They knew that this was going to be very important and that they shouldn't do what they would normally do, so they all nodded pur heads and watched as Superman and Batman walked through the zeta tubes.

Superman and Batman arrived at the UN and a lady in a suit and her hair pulled back into a tight bun walked up to them. "Superman, Batman." Shee greeted with a nod "Please, follow me."

They walked through a few hallways and soon came to a medium sized conference room with a few members from the UN seated around a table in it.

The two members of the JLA exchanged a warry side glance, something rare for the Batman.

They took a deep breath and stepped though the door. Something they will deeply regret.

That one step had just changed the lives of hundreds, maybe thousands, of individuals.

If they knew what waited for them the second they stepped through that door, they would have turned tails and ran as far away as they could from that god forsaken place, the place that within the next few hours they would soon despise.

•A few hours later• (I can just hear the Spongebob guy😂😂😂)

"So we have come to a desition then?" One of the UN members asked the shaky manners of the Justice League.

"Yes." Said Batman and shook her hand "Yes we do."