SUPRISES

The next few weeks rolled around fairly slow. I continued to hang out with Michelle and Finn and somewhat even got closer to Ayla.

It was 3:30 now. The bell rings, and a massive explosion of students pour out of classrooms and into various cars and buses. I slowly packed up my things, hoping to maybe catch Jack on the way out. I haven't talked to him in a while. I looked up to see Finn standing next to my chair. His face was red, and his fingers were frantically picking at the strap of his backpack. "Are you okay?" I asked trying to hide a laugh. He looked so nervous. "Um, Sadie, can I- can I ask you something?" Finn frowned. I suddenly became worried. Was something wrong? I nodded in compliance to his question. "Um... I was wondering if you wanted to... um maybe if you could... give me dance lessons?" Finns face twisted into confusion after the last part of the sentence.
"Dance lessons?" I asked. Finn nodded. "Yeah, I know you used to dance and I'm thinking about asking a girl I know to the dance, and I don't wanna look like a fool." I partly laughed due to his nervous rambling but a part of me was jealous. "Um sure. That would be fine. My house at 4:15?" My parents weren't home then. Finn nodded and we parted ways. Who was he gonna ask? I was starting to get upset thinking about him at the dance with somebody else. Why did this bother me so much? He can like other people without forgetting about me.

It was 4:15, and Finn knocked on the door right as the clock turned to 4:16. I opened it and stated " you're a minute late." Finn laughed. "Listen red, we're on borrowed time. Let's do this." I laughed and let him come in. We got past all the awkward small talk and went straight to the dancing. I taught him how to slow dance, waltz, and a few funny dance moves I made up on spot. We had a good time. A great time actually. He started to leave around 5. As he put his jacket on, I gathered some courage to say, "Whoever you're asking, she's really lucky. You're a great dancer." I hoped he would notice the subtle sarcasm, but also hurt, in my voice. Finn turned to me, my face started to heat up. "I'm actually really nervous about that. How should I ask her? Like what should I say?" I shrugged, and looked at the floor. "Just be honest and ask her simply if she wants to go out with you." Finn stepped closer to me. "Can I practice on you? You know, to see what see what girls like?" I swallowed hard and nodded.
Finn took a deep breath. "Okay so, we've known each other for a little bit, but I can't seem to get you off my mind. I want to get to know you better, plain and simple. Do you wanna go to the school dance with me?" Finns dark brown eyes gazed into mine. I forced a small laugh. "That was the worst proposal I've ever seen." Finn smiled that cheesy adorable grin he always has plastered across his face. "Shut up and say yes idiot." With that, he lightly landed a quick kiss on my cheek and stepped out the door. I stood there shocked. My head was spinning for awhile and I smiled when I finally realized what the fuck just happened.