Chapter 8: Lies

Chapter 8

Lies

"Hey, Nikki," she said sweetly. How dare she show up like nothing happen, I thought as I clenched my teeth together. She never liked me. Even before I started going out with Chris.

"Remember who I am?" Elizabeth asked, grinning at me.

"How could I not forget," I said through my teeth. "You're the older sister of Chris."

"We met again when I was working today," Aaron said. "We started talking and then it occurred to me 'why not invite her for dinner' and that's why she's here."

"Took you long enough," she said. "We were standing outside in the cold! After a while I couldn't hear him because my teeth were chattering so loudly!"

Everybody laughed except me. She was here, at my house laughing her head off, forgetting all those words she said to me on Chris's funeral. I dug my nails into my palms holding the rage of not going up to her and punch her in her face.

"I'll start to set up the table," my mother said as she stood up and began to head towards the kitchen.

"I'll help you mom," Aaron said standing up and trotted behind her, grinning really wide.

"Just me and you," I said sourly. "Why are you here?"

She looked at me with sad eyes then slowly stood up. "Look," she said softly. "What I said at the funeral wasn't me."

"You're right it wasn't you. It was what you've wanted to say in a long time!" I hollered at her taking at step towards her. Her eyes were wide with disbelief, but changed her expression into something calm. She was lying. I could smell it.

"'I don't want to ever see your face you slut! You killed my little brother!'" I quoted her words right at her face. "You never liked me. Even when Chris I were friends, you never liked me. You even said it yourself!"

"I know, but -but I want to start over again," she pleaded taking a step towards me. I took a step back. "You don't know how much it hurt me to know that my little brother was and is dead. Even worse the way he was killed!"

"I thought that after his death you and I would be closer -that you would understand me but I guess I was wrong."

A tear rolled down her cheek. "Am sorry for those times I made you feel bad. But you must understand that he was my little brother and I was an only child for a long time and I wanted to protect him!"

My teeth were aching. "The only thing I understand is that you're lying! You once said you would much rather see Chris dead than go out with me! But there you have it your wish was fulfilled. Chris is dead!"

She began to sob loudly as she put her hands on her face. Aaron came in the living room from the kitchen. His face suddenly went confused. "What happened here -hey! Whoa! Why are you crying?!"

Aaron rushed at her side trying to calm her. I stared at her with angry eyes. Liar, I scream in my mind. You're lying!

"I need to go I can't be here," she sobbed. She twirled around grabbing her pursed and rushed out towards the door.

"Hey wait!"Aaron said rushing towards her. "What happened?"

"Thanks for the invitation, but I need to leave," she cried as she grabbed the doorknob. Aaron followed, but she raised a hand to stop him. "Please, I want to leave." She opened the door and walked outside.

Aaron stood quiet. He walked outside into the cold moisture wet air. He watched her as she hopped into her blue sedan and started the engine. The wheels screech loudly on the wet pavement and then was gone from view.