Chapter 16: Misunderstood

Chapter 16

Misunderstood

~Nikki~

We drove in silence for what seemed like hours. I looked out the passenger window as I rested my hand on the door handle, ready to jump out of the car when he pulled a stop. I could feel the coldness of the outside from the window. I shivered under my will.

"Are you cold?" Matt asked reaching his hand towards the heater button and turned it on. "Sorry."

"Yeah," I muttered not bothering to look at him. He pulled over a curb next to a forest. "Why are we stopping here?"

"We're here," he answered with a grin on his face. "But first" - he tapped each side of his pocket and took out a black bandana and held it out to me -"I would like for you to wear this around your eyes if you are so kind enough."

I narrowed my eyes at the black bandana then at him. "Why?"

He grinned wide. "It's a secret."

"Why don't you tell me?" I raised an eyebrow wary.

"If I tell you then it won't be a secret anymore now well it?" He said still grinning.

"And I don't trust you!" I sneered.

He sighed. "Please put it on I want to surprise you."

I hesitated for whole minute deciding whether it was a good idea or not. I decided there was nothing to lose anyway.

I snatched the bandana away from him, closed my eyes and covered it over my eyes.

"Thank you," he sighed. I heard him climb out of the car. I waited and then I heard him open the passenger door and grabbed my hand.

"I'll lend the way," he said.

"No, duh," I said sarcastically.

I heard him chuckle as he grabbed my other hand and helped in out of the car. Once standing up he took me by surprise as he flung me up his arms.

"Matt! What are you doing?" I asked both surprised and irritated, but more surprised.

I could imagine him grinning as he seductively explained, "You're only going to slow me down and besides, I don't want you to get hurt. None the less, if you crack your head open. Relax it's not that far."

I bit my bottom lip as I felt him walk. Dried leaves cracked with each step him took. Throughout the whole way the only thing I could smell was moss, wet moss.

He gently set me down on my feet as I wobbled forward. He grabbed my forearm then slowly slid his hand towards my hand as he intertwined his fingers with mine. He squeezed it once before letting me go. I heard him take a step back, away from me.

He removed the bandana from my eyes. "You may open your eyes now." He said smoothly.

Slowly I opened my eyes and gasped. It was beautiful.

In front of both of us was a clearing and further a cliff. Below it was the city's light, twinkling like the stars. The full moon hovered under the city, peacefully watching. Between the cliff and where we stood was a single white round table with two chairs set across from each other. One small white candle was set inside a glass bowl in the center as the small flame danced with the caressing wind.

In the ground were big, round white candles, all had their own little flame. They were formed into a narrow line that led to the small table. Each and every one of them was surrounded by red roses at their side.

It was most beautiful thing I have ever seen...

From the corner of my eye I notice Matt studying me. I turned around to face him. "What?"