November 1979 - Prologue

TURNING THE corner Jane found herself with a decision, go down the alleyway or through the park gates, one was exponentially quicker but it was also dangerous while the other took longer but it was safer. Looking left then right Jane let out a small breath before making her way down the dark alleyway. The stone bricks grazed her arm as she kept to the wall, she didn't want to be snuck upon. It was dangerous traveling at night with all the Death Eaters about but Jane had to see him, she had to say goodbye no matter the risk. She reached the chain-link fence, checking behind her one last time but pausing when she saw a shadow dart across the alley back into the dark shadow. Jane narrowed her eyes but shook her head thinking it was just her mind playing tricks. She climbed the fence making her way to the other side where Regulus was waiting. "Regulus?" She called softly, not wanting to get the wrong attention. She walked through the snowy grass reaching their usual spot but didn't see him there. "Regulus." She called again a little louder. That's when she heard rustling. Turning she held onto her concealed wand ready for whatever was behind the bush. That's when he stepped out from behind the bush making Jane relax a little. 

"Jane, I can't stay long," Regulus said looking around nervously. Jane could feel her chest ache at the thought of him leaving. 

"Regulus, why do you have to go?" She asked, reaching out to him.

"You know why, it's the only way I can get out of this reasonably unscathed." He said pointing out his dark mark.

"But-" Jane started but his face was stern and the decision was already made. He was leaving. Jane pushed his arm down and moved closer to him so she could memorise everything about him. He had grown taller over the past year and was starting to grow stubble along his chin. He had a scar cutting across his right eyebrow, his face was always serious but there was a certain innocence to him. Jane reached up and pressed her hand on his cheek making him close his eyes. He was always soft when it came to her, she had penetrated his hard exterior to find the soft interior. A tear slipped down Jane's cheek as realisation finally struck. This might be the last time she'd ever see him. Closing her eyes, she tried to pull herself together not wanting to ruin their moment because of a few tears. Regulus caressed Jane's cheek wiping away her stray tear with his thumb and making her look up.

"I've got until the morning to get my things together, maybe we can go back to my place and spend my last night together." Regulus compromised. Jane gave him the saddest smile but nodded. He pulled her into a warm embrace before guiding her through the snow-covered park and into another alleyway. Jane held onto Regulus as he moved swiftly through the shadows so they wouldn't get spotted. That's when he apparated up to his small apartment. Regulus guided Jane to his bed where his trunk was laid out with some clothes and books scattered across the room. 

"Why can't you just tell The Order about whatever it is you've found?" Jane asked settling on his bed.

"Why would they believe me? I've done some horrendous things, I've joined the Death Eaters, what makes you believe they'd even give me the time of day?" Regulus asked pacing the room. The two of them have had this argument almost every day since Jane found out he was leaving. "The moment they see this mark, all of my credibility is gone." 

"What about your brother, surely-" Jane was almost begging.

"Jane, I have to do this on my own," Regulus said as he knelt in front of Jane. He placed his hand on her thighs as she looked down in sadness. 

"I'm going to miss you," Jane said as she finally caved into the reality of his choice. She wasn't going to convince him to stay or try and tell The Order or even his brother. Regulus was stubborn, decisive, and certain. Jane lept onto Regulus pulling him close to her. He wrapped his arms around her waist and placed his face in the crook of her neck. He could feel her crying and it almost made him stay, he hated seeing her upset but he had to leave. He had to find the locket and destroy it. 

Pulling away, Regulus wiped the rest of her tears away and placed gentle kisses on her red cheeks. "I want to remember you. Every. Single. Part." He said between kisses as he moved towards her sweet spot. Letting out a strained breath Jane caved to his charm. She couldn't deny her desperate want to touch and commit every part of him to memory. She ran her hands down Regulus's back as each muscle tensed from her touch. Pulled him impossibly closer to her, his kisses sent shivers down Jane's spine, and when his hand slipped under her shirt warmth spread throughout her body. She could feel him lifting her shirt and didn't stop him as his hand roamed her body setting her on fire. It didn't take much convincing as she pulled his shirt off revealing his toned body. Jane looked him over, committing it to memory then ran her hands across his chest, stomach, and then along the waistband of his pants. She looked up to his intense gaze as he watched her every movement. 

~~~

Jane rolled over on the soft bed, reaching her hand out but it was empty. Slowly opening her eyes she confirmed what she had dreaded. He was gone, the only thing left was his leatherbound journal.