Thirty-eight

Jiaying and Beck crept through the deserted history museum with no definitive destination in mind. The lighting was dim, creating more shadows than desired.

"What's going on out there?" Beck said after hearing yet another muffled scream outside. The centre's walls were thick, and so far they'd only heard the faintest yell or explosion.

"Nothing good. I have no idea what this virus mode is, but knowing Hunter, it won't be anything good."

The museum itself was well designed with many different displays, some covering animal evolution, others focussing on the rise and fall of human empires in ancient times. On any other day, a stroll through the museum would feel like an ideal date for Beck.

But under the current set of circumstances, there was no time to take in the sights before them. Their sole priority in this moment was to stay alive.

"I hope Priya's safe."

"I'm sure she is," Jiaying said, although with doubts of her own. "She can handle herself."

Beck took note of the time and user count. "67 and 389. Unbelievable."

The pair froze when they heard a distant shriek. They immediately grabbed hold of one another.

"Was that inside or outside?" Beck asked, hopeful for the latter.

"I ... I think it was outside. Maybe."

They heard it again. It was a little louder this time. It bounced off the hollow museum walls.

Whatever it was, it was definitely inside.

Beck's heart started to race. "That's not good."

Jiaying looked around for anything they could use to defend themselves. "I'm sure it's nothing," she lied.

"Are you kidding me? It sounded like a roar or something."

She twitched when she heard it a third time. It was unlike anything she'd ever heard before.

Jiaying saw a nearby display from the imperial days of the Yueguo empire. She climbed over the divider and grabbed a sword from one of the soldiers. "Oh. It's not real."

Beck shook her head. "Of course it's not real."

Still, Jiaying held the weapon tight. It was blunt but still firm. It might be useful if they needed to defend themselves. "What do we do? Should we keep moving?"

"Yes. Absolutely."

Jiaying walked back over to her girlfriend and they continued placing one foot in front of the other, ensuring their steps were silent.

They jumped when they heard the shriek for a fourth time.

"Okay, it's definitely getting closer," Beck whispered.

Jiaying swallowed hard. "There. Look. I see something."

Beck reluctantly tilted her gaze and noticed a shadow on the far wall. It slowly grew bigger. It looked like a human.

Jiaying held the fake sword out instinctively. "Stay back."

The pair stood poised, watching and waiting.

Seconds later, a man rounded the corner, his shadow on the wall disappearing. He glanced in their direction, a low growl rumbling in his throat.

"What the hell?" Beck said. "Why is he making that sound?"

Jiaying stared at him, trying to figure it out for herself. "I'm not sure."

The danger suddenly became apparent. Beck let out a loud gasp. "His face. Look at his face!"

Jiaying saw it too. They didn't initially see it in the dull light, but there was no doubt the bot's skin was rotten, covered in blood and decay. "Um ..."

The man took clumsy steps toward them, slowly closing the distance.

"We need to go. Now," Beck ordered.

Her girlfriend nodded and began walking backwards, away from the beast.

It let out an almighty roar, causing them to jump.

"Run," Jiaying whispered.

Beck didn't need to think twice about it. She turned and started bounding through the open museum, her partner by her side. She looked behind them and watched the corpse lurch after them, although at a much slower pace.

"I guess now we know what virus mode is," Jiaying said.

Beck grimaced. "This must be a joke. This is ... creepy."

"It's Hunter. What do you expect?"

Beck took another look behind her. "Not this."

"Shit!" Jiaying gasped as another rotting body appeared in front of them.

Beck took her girlfriend's hand. "This way. Come on. Don't stop!"

They ran through the maze, desperate to avoid certain death.

The creatures followed, their dark eyes sinister.

"Where do we go?" Jiaying asked in a panic. "I don't know the layout of this place."

"Anywhere," Beck said. "Whatever you do, just don't stop."

Jiaying spun around.

Now there were three ...

-----

Thanks for reading! I hope you've enjoyed it so far!

I'd love it if you could rate my story on Swoon Reads. They're a standard publisher, and if my book gets picked up, it'll give me the opportunity to keep writing and creating and building worlds.

So please feel free to check it out and rate it here! https://www.swoonreads.com/m/cytronica/