Fifty-one

Zack was restless, on edge. He only prayed that the tournament would end before Miller returned. It would make it so much easier for him to then unlock the door.

Or, better yet, he could flee the room with Hunter and Justin and deny the whole thing ever happened. It would be Miller's word against theirs.

He shook his head, knowing full well it was futile. Mr Ramirez would take the side of the engineer. Not to mention there were Cytro reports and surveillance cameras flooding the hallways which proved their infiltration and subsequent digital incursion.

What do I do?

He pressed his face against the glass and stared into the darkness. He was still alone for now.

Zack pondered the thought of maybe shutting down the realm prematurely, ending the tournament. While the damage had already been done, it could possibly be a final chance for redemption in the academy's eyes. Would they forgive him for any wrongdoing if he was the one who ultimately put a stop to the madness?

Unlikely.

Furthermore, he didn't have system access. Only Justin knew the password for logging back into the system. Hunter was smart enough to log off from the workstation once the code had been executed.

Zack was sweating profusely. He surely didn't have much longer. Miller would return with the principal and the police.

The boy would be expelled.

He'd be charged with several crimes.

His chances of college would be destroyed.

His parents would never forgive him. His four years of tuition would be rendered completely useless. All that money gone.

The glass began to grow foggy as he breathed against it, his heart still beating uncontrollably.

He looked at the monitor. 3 and 6 users remaining.

This was going to be close.