Fifty-six

Hunter opened his eyes and gasped for air. He thrashed his arms and legs about, causing him to fall out of his chair. He landed on the soft carpet with a dull thud.

It took a moment for his mind to remember where he was. His heart rate was out of control. His stomach ached with stress.

He took in several deep breaths to calm himself down.

"Hunter," Justin's voice said. "It's okay. It's over."

Hunter nodded. "I know." He picked himself up and sat back on the chair. "I know."

"You're damn right it's over," Mr Ramirez declared, leaning on one of the desks.

Hunter flinched upon seeing the faces of the principal and network engineer. "What ... oh ... hey, sir. Um, what are you—"

"Cut the bullshit, son," Ramirez spat. "I know everything."

Hunter became pale, at a loss for words.

"Sounds like you've had a fun afternoon," the principal continued. "A tournament, I hear."

The boy's expression twisted. He narrowed his eyes at Zack. "You told him?"

"I had to," Zack defended. "There was nothing I could do."

Justin stared at the carpet, suddenly regretting everything. In a way, the game was fun, but ultimately it was pointless.

And he had nothing to show for it.

He had achieved nothing.

It only left him now wanting more.

"Monday morning, you two," Ramirez uttered, pointing to Hunter and Justin, "my office. First thing. Don't even bother attending class. Now, out."

Hunter glared at everyone in the room, his mind racing. This can't be happening, he thought.

"Out," the principal demanded again, raising his voice. "Otherwise the police can drag you out. It's your call."

Hunter rose from the chair and strode past the principal, not saying a word to Zack.

Justin did the same, although offered the short boy a sympathetic look.

"You too," Ramirez said to Zack once the others were out of earshot. "Time to go."

The short boy nodded and climbed to his feet. "Yes, sir."

"I'll speak to you on Monday along with your fellow admins. Until then, please stay out of trouble. I'm willing to overlook this one incident, but I won't overlook a second."

The boy nodded again. "Of course, sir. Thank you. And again, I'm sorry," he said, apologising to both adults.

Zack went out into the hallway and purposely chose to exit the building a different way, just in case Hunter was waiting for him.

Needless to say, their friendship was now over.

If it even really began.