Fifty-three

Priya did her best to keep her mind active, but it was easy to lose focus when she was alone in the dark halls. She debated whether or not to find a light switch. It would certainly help her to see, instead of just relying on whatever little light flooded in from outside.

But so too could it be used against her, she thought, possibly making her easier to spot.

Up ahead was a closed set of doors with a crack of light shining from underneath. She wondered if anyone was inside hiding. If they were, it might just be in her best interest to join them.

Priya continued inching her way along the hall, getting closer to the door, keeping one eye on her surroundings at all times.

As she got closer she heard two muffled voices. There were definitely people inside.

She placed an ear against the wood and listened. She couldn't quite make out what they were talking about, but there was no mistaking whose voices they were.

Priya knocked on the door. The two people stopped talking at once.

"Jiaying. Beck," she said, her voice a loud whisper. "Is that you?"

She only had to wait a few seconds for one of them to step closer. "Priya?" Beck asked.

"Yeah." She let out a long sigh of relief. "It's me."

The door unlocked and slowly opened, revealing the faces of her two friends.

The threesome just stared blankly, bewildered, and then eventually reached forward and hugged each other tightly.

Jiaying started laughing. "I can't believe it! You're here."

"I knew you'd be fine," Beck joked.

"Oh, me too," Jiaying quickly added, correcting herself. "I mean, I can't believe you're in the centre. I thought you and Diego would be miles away by now."

Priya smiled at her two friends. "Nah, it was getting too crazy out there, so we headed back. He, um, didn't make it."

Beck made a sympathetic face. "We know. The 4PM Club is down to three people."

Priya nodded. "Yeah. Just us."

"Come in," Jiaying said. "We have to keep this door closed."

"Priya!" a voice screamed from in the distance.

All three girls jumped. They were already on edge, and the last thing they wanted was for someone to shout at them.

Priya wheeled around and saw three shadows racing down the hallway toward them. "Who's that?" she gasped.

"That was Hunter's voice," Jiaying said.

Beck grabbed the door. "Quick, close it. Don't let him in here."

"Wait!" the boy called, noticing what she was doing. "Let us in!"

"Seriously?" Jiaying growled.

The three boys' faces became clearer as they got closer to the light. They didn't bother stopping to wait for an invitation—they shoved their way through into the room.

Beck slammed the door shut, annoyed they now had to share their space with the very person who'd put them in this predicament. She turned the lock, ensuring no one else could get in.

Hunter pretended to take in a deep gulp of air—not that he was able to run out of breath—and then slumped into one of the lounges. Casey and Justin did the same.