Fifty-eight

Lunchtime could not have come fast enough. Priya dumped any loose items into her locker and headed straight out to the yard. She still hadn't seen her two other friends since the horrific event on Saturday.

She made her way to their usual table hangout—assuming they were still going to claim the spot—crossing the yard. Several students greeted her or acknowledged her on the way. She waved and smiled at any she noticed.

Jiaying and Beck were already waiting when she got there.

"Hey!" Jiaying called, standing up and wrapping her arms around Priya. Beck rose and offered the same embrace.

Priya let out a victorious sigh. "We made it."

"Yep," Beck smiled. "We made it."

Jiaying looked up at the sky. "That was ... wow."

"I don't think we would've said wow a couple of days ago," Priya laughed.

"I know. I mean, the whole thing sucked, to be honest. But the fact that we made it to the very end gives you a cool feeling, you know."

"We did a pretty damn good job, I must say," Beck said, winking at her girlfriend.

Jiaying turned her attention to Priya. "Now, spill it. What happened? I assume you didn't get expelled."

"Thankfully not. Although I was lucky. Can't say the same for Hunter and Justin. I'm guessing you guys have already heard the news?"

Beck offered a single nod. "The whole school knows. I'm just glad you guys didn't suffer the same fate. It could've easily happened."

"You're right," Priya said. "I'm grateful for a second chance."

Jiaying stretched her legs out along the steel bench. "Ramirez called me into the office this morning and interrogated me. Although it sounded like he'd already made up his mind. I thought I was done for though."

"Sounds like my meeting. I just told him the truth and he seemed to take it pretty well. Did he offer you your admin role back?"

"Kind of. He said he'll consider it."

"Diego told me the same thing. I didn't get the offer," Priya laughed.

Jiaying waved a hand, dismissing the role. "It's not that great anyway."

"Believe me, I know."

Lauren approached the bench and leaned over, interrupting the conversation. "Hey, guys. Sorry to butt in." She looked the three of them in the eye. "I just wanted to say congrats. I heard you three won the tournament."

"Well, officially it was Priya," Beck said.

"Nah, no way," Priya scoffed. "It was a group effort. Besides, you logged out like half a second before me."

"I heard it got intense in there," Lauren continued. "Some friends of mine got eliminated later on and they said it was scary stuff."

Jiaying raised her eyebrows. "Oh, you don't know the half of it. I've had nightmares ever since."

"The whole thing was stupid to begin with. It was a stupid idea. I don't know what Hunter was thinking."

"I guess we'll never know."

"Thank you though," Priya said, quickly adding her gratitude. "We couldn't have done it without you."

"Nah, I didn't do much," Lauren laughed. "So what'll happen to the 4PM Club now? Is that it? It's over?"