Solstice: Chapter One

Chapter One:  Solstice’s P.O.V.

    My dad was pounding on my door, he sucked at waking me up. Mom had always been gentle, just turning on my light and shaking my shoulder, I always woke up. But since she passed away this was my father, the man I only saw once or twice a week, who pounded on my door like I was a person who slept like the dead. I groaned and sat up, walking to my attached bathroom. I hated my dad sometimes, he made us move out of our cozy cabin into a damn apartment in L.A. so he could work closer with his law firm, which actually ment more time away from me.

    It was because I looked like my mom, long red-brown tresses and chocolate brown colored eyes, with tan skin that glowed in the summer.  The only difference was I had a tattoo from hip bone to hip bone, it said “It Is Always Darkest Before The Dawn”. It was my mom’s favorite quote, she always told me it when things got bad. Like when she found out she was pregnant again, the doctors told her she would die if she had another baby, but she wouldn’t abort it, I was so mad at her I didn’t even go with them when she went into labor two months early. She passed and so did the baby, he only lived two days before his lungs collapsed.

    I sighed and stripped out of my pjs, jumping into a scalding hot shower and did all my shaving and scrubbing before getting out, my skin more red then tan at the moment as I towel dried my hair and pulled on my lacey under things. It was a bit of habit of mine to wear sexy undergarments, it made me feel good when I felt like no one gave a crap atleast I cared about myself. I dressed in a pair of black and white plaid skinny jeans and a Blood on the Dance Floor shirt, with a bloody polar bear on it and my size 6 gauges that looked like tiny colored pencils. I put on my nightmare before Christmas socks and my knee high black converses before grabbing all my bracelets and my school bag. I nearly jumped out of my skin as I was putting on my bracelets when I saw my dad sitting there, at the dinning room table drinking a cup of coffee.

    “Holy Shiz! You’re actually home and its after 7” I said sarcastically and he smirked, “Now, now Sol, don’t be that way when I took off the next two months so we could go back to the cabin for the summer” He said and my jaw dropped and I jumped him with a bear hug. “Oh yay! Yay! Yay! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!” I screamed and he laughed hugging me back. “I thought we both could use some time away from the city and you’ve been talking to Terry (Our gay house(man)maid. He was my only friend in this damned place) about wanting to go back for a long time, he told me he hated seeing you sad and actually said if I didn’t atleast send you there yourself for the summer, he was going to slip into my room at night and make sure I woke up with out my balls” He said and I smiled, I didn’t care he was only doing this ‘cause he wouldn’t have done it without the threat. “Thank you Terry!!” I screamed and I heard Terry laugh from his bedroom, “You’re welcome crazy girl” He said walking into the room in his work out sweats, he was hot as hell but he was gay, straight up gay as he put it. I hugged him and he smiled, “I get the summer off for the first time since your dad hired me two years ago!” He squealed and I giggled.

    “Let me go put on my shirt and we’ll take the convertible to school so I can tell you what I plan to do with my two months” He said, winking and running into his room. He really didn’t even look gay, he was 6’5 with huge muscles, he had no hair on his body what so ever (He proudly showed me this after I came home and found him waiting for me, saying he was my new house keeper when I was 16, he even shaved his head!). I sighed ruefully, “If only he had been straight” I mumbled and Dad laughed. “I wouldn’t have hired him if he were straight!” He said and I stuck my tongue out at him and he laughed again.

    I waited till Terry got his favorite shirt on, it was his white singlet that I bejeweled as a joke for his 27th birthday last year. It read “Sexy Single” In the front and the back said, “Boys Only”. We went to the mall after his party and you cannot imagine the amount of disappointed looks from females we were seeing. One  girl even came up and asked if he really was only for boys and she walked away looking like she was gonna cry when Terry said yes. I giggled and he smirked, we both were thinking the same thing.

    “So when are we leaving for the cabin before I go to my last day of school in which we do nothing all day?” I asked and he smile. “Today, I’ll pick you up after school, Terry’s gonna pack your things” He said and I cheered again and ran out to the convertible. Terry ran after me, throwing me over his shoulder and started grunting like a caveman as he ran to the car, gently tossing me into the passenger seat. “Okay so your sexiest under things Solstice?” He said and I blushed and slapped his bicep. “Come on Terry like I’m gonna meet a boy I didn’t grow up with in that wonderful but small town! Besides even if I did meet a boy, two months is so not enough time to know each other well enough to see me in my under things” I said, glowering at the gay man who found a new bed buddy every few weeks.

    “Awe baby girl haven’t you ever heard of summer love? Or Love at first sight? You might meet your Love out there and then make a little love” He said winking and I shoved him. “Oh hush up you” I snapped blushing, I had hoped I would find a guy to love before I turned 18 but I would be turning 18 next month and I had no such luck finding a guy who wasn’t a dick in my school. I slipped in my skull candy earbuds after plugging them into my phone and turned on my favorite song by Blood on the Dance Floor it was called FantasyLand, I mostly liked it because of Jay’s rap some where in the middle. I walked into the school, ignoring the whispered comments about my bracelets, what was hidden under there or who knew where my tattoo was, or what happened to my mom did she leave or something.

     I heard this shit every day and it was easy to just keep walking into my first hour block and act as normal as I could, while thinking about going back to Colorado for two whole months.