Solstice: Chapter Two

Chapter Two: Solstice’s P.O.V.

    I ran out of my 8th hour, very tempted to scream ‘I’m free, I’m finally free!’ but my dad was waiting, leaning against his limo and I just ran to him. “You looked like a frightened animal, running away from a hunter” My dad said, opening the door and I shrugged. “I hate that place” I said simply and he rolled his eyes. “Okay” He said and I saw Terry driving the limo with his replacement beside him. His replacement, James, was going to drive the limo back to our apartment and keep up the apartment while we were gone.

    We quickly arrived at the airport, Dad actually seemed happy to be leaving even though Terry was the reason we were going. I sent another silent thank you to Terry, he really was awesome, I curse who ever decides in the universe who’s gay and who isn’t. They were so unfair. I sighed loudly once I sat down, loving how the first class seats felt. They were sooooo  comfy I think I’ll just take a nap.

~

    I woke up just as the plane was touching down in Colorado and I smiled brightly. My dad chuckled when he saw my smile, but I couldn’t help it. The clouds, the mountains and the fresh air not filled with gas exhaust. It was so refreshing, I hadn’t smelled air this clean in years, we had moved away right after my baby brother had died, when I was 9, so it had been almost exactly 9 years. I smiled when I got off the plane in my skinny jeans and BOTDF shirt, just dancing in the snow, even though I should have been shivering, I felt warmer than ever.

     The woods near the airport landing where we were getting out was filled with the sounds of wolves, wolves speaking to each other. Their howls filling the air with the most beautiful song in the world. I was so tempted to sing along, but my howling sucked compared to theirs, I knew from when I was little and I would join in on their song. I smiled brightly and ran over to my father. “Oh dad! It’s so wonderful being back!” I cried and he smiled and hugged me.

     “I’m glad you’re smiling, it’s been so long since I’ve seen that smile” He said kissing my forehead before we hiked our way over to the small airport, gathering our bags and getting into a big town car waiting for us with a driver. “Hello Mr. O’Shey, Miss O’Shey. It’s great to see you two again!” He said turning and I smiled when I saw Old Mr. Barns was our driver. He was our neighbor and the cabin’s care taker for the past nine years. “Mr. Barns! It’s so great to see you” I yelled, running over to hug him. He was like my grandpa, since my grandparents had died before I was born, he was always there though.

    “Hey there Ice” He said, catching me in a spinning hug. He was a strong old man who used to be a lumber jack until his wife died and he wanted to do work closer to home. His home was right next door to ours, so being caretaker was great and paid well. I giggled as he spun me, like I did when I was a little girl, and he put me down. “How’s it been going my little Ice cube?” He said and I smiled.

    He was the only one aloud to call me Ice cube, he called me that because no matter how cold it got, I always wanted to be outside, in the fresh air of nature. I shrugged, “Pretty good Mr. Barns, but I missed my true home” I said smiling and he smiled back. “You’re home now dear, and there is a surprise for you when you get home” he said and I cheered before slipping into the back seat, where my father was on his palm pilot, doing something for work involving a major case. “I’m going to be alone soon, aren’t I?” I asked and he jumped. He looked so guilty, “I’m sorry Solstice, but you may be going alone now. The case my partner took on with out me knowing is crashing down around him, he needs help so I have to go back.” He said, kissing my temple before slipping out of the car.

    He grabbed his bags and walked back into the airport, to get a flight back to New York, a flight away from me. I felt a tear slip down my cheek and Mr. Barns sighed, “Honey it isn’t your fault, your father has to many problems to deal with, he does not see the wonderful daughter who has grown up with more pain than most children.” He said before leaning back and wiping away the one traitor tear. “No more crying sweetie, come on, lets get you to your home, your true home” He said and I smiled sadly at him, he turned around and I leaned my forehead against the tinted window. I closed my eyes just hoping things would get better here. “Ice cube, open your eyes, you’re home” Mr. Barns said and I leaned forward and smiled, seeing the cabin coming up. I really was home.