The Reveal

John lies in the bed, waiting for the result of blood test. The process was more painful than he imagined. The needle was drilled into his hipbone to take sample of bloodcells from the bonemarrow.

A young man enters John's room. "Hello John, I am Dr. Anderson. Your reports are ready. I am here to assist Dr. Philips, he will attend you in five minutes". He said in his British accent.

John stared at the red file in his hand with fear. Dr. Philips enters the room with a cheerful face. He takes the report from Dr. Anderson and goes through it. The smile in his face slowly fades. John could sense danger from his expression.

"John. (Sighs) Although we couldn't find any problems in your first blood test, I am afraid to say that you have adult AML".

"What's AML?" enquired John.

Dr. Philips looked at Dr. Anderson and  replied that it is acute myeloid leukemia. John was silent for a moment. He regained words and asked, "Isn't that Cancer?"

Dr. Anderson broke his silence by the sentence "Yes, I am sorry to say that you have cancer".

John was shocked. He got up the bed  in rage and anger. Everything around him made no sense. "How is that possible? I don't smoke or take alcohol & drugs. Infact I take care of my health in most efficient way".

Dr. Philips said, "These medical conditions are not in our hands. Only God knows".

John smiled and said in firm voice "I don't believe in God".

He got up and moved to exit door. Then Dr. Anderson stopped him and said "AML could get worse within weeks if not treated. John, your condition is severe".

John walked away without paying attention.