Chapter 1 :: The Underwear Model

Thanks to the multi-talented Phoebe for the lovely banner on the side! If you're up for an amazingly well-written, original story with adorable main characters, check out her story Have A Little Hope! It's sooooooo good! XD

Chapter 1: The Underwear Model

                  Hannah laughed. So hard that the girl was wheezy through her cackles and snorts and Melissa was biting her lip in embarrassment. “Wait!” Hannah heaved. “You mean the police officer called for back-up and threw you guys in jail?”

                  Melissa groaned and tucked a stray curl of brown hair behind her ear. She should have just kept her mouth shut. What good would it be telling something so crazy to her co-worker when it was so obvious she would only laugh in response. Now her cheeks were scorching hot and she wanted to crawl into a hole of any size just as long as it did a good job of hiding her face. “Not jail,” she muttered in weak defense. “Just the drunk cell because he thought we were stoned or on crack or something.”

                  Her comment only sent the woman sitting at the mahogany desk across from hers bursting into more unrestrained giggles. “Melissa, that’s even worse,” she shrieked. “Think about it! He thought you guys were on crack! Doesn’t that say something?”

                  Turning her attention away from the bumbling woman with the beehive of frizzy orange hair, Melissa pushed the documents on her desk aside and started to sort out the mail. “I don’t need to discuss this with you at all,” she huffed, willing Hannah’s irritating laughter to fade away, but with no avail.

                  Even though it was ‘mail’ it was typically just documents from inside the company minus a couple of exceptions. Working at Flirtatious, one of the leading female fashion brands in New York, there were so many photo-shoots, designs, fashion shows and advertising contracts Melissa had to sort out. Those were just the major ones. Once she sorted them out from important to insignificant, she would gather the necessary materials or contact information before giving them all to her boss – that was, before her boss went to her goddaughter’s bachelorette party, got a male stripper’s junk smashed against her dentals, and had an outright heart attack right after.

                  The warm and fashionable sixty-nine year old woman was gone… just like that.

                  Flipping through the mail, again a stack of loose letters and notes fell out. Hate letters. Melissa didn’t even want to look at them. She gathered the idiotic writings on her lap, rolled her chair a few feet down to the garbage can and dumped it angrily inside. When she glanced up, she found Hannah’s eyes on her, her lips smitten with a pitying smile. “Again?” She murmured.

                  Melissa nodded, careful not to show the amount of distraught the letters brought her, and rolled back to her desk. “Yeah, they’re stupid and annoying,” she mumbled. “I’m not even going to read them. The last time I read one, it said I looked like a constipated cow and another one had snips of hair taped to it.”

                  “Freaky. Anyways, it’s probably a good idea not to read them. There’re probably ones far worse than the ones you’ve already read.” Rolling her chair over to her, Hannah placed a hand on each of Melissa’s knees and comforted her with a cheerful smile. That was probably one of Hannah’s best assets. She was annoying with her endless laughing and teasing at her worst, but always there to cheer Melissa on and willing to help when she was in need. She was also one of the few friends Melissa had who weren’t crazy and flying off the wall so she was extremely fond of Hannah for that reason alone.