Chapter Four

Halie's POV

"Supper is ready!" Aunt Carol yelled and I took a deep breath. He isn't that man. He won't hurt me. He's a nice person. I repeated those sentences to myself over and over, trying to calm my wrecked nerves. "You got this," I whispered to myself and licked my dry lips.

I slowly made my way down the stairs and into the kitchen. Ian was lost in thought as Aunt Carol placed the food on the table. "Finally, come sit," she said when she noticed me standing there. "I wasn't gone that long," I mumbled lowly.

"Just sit," she scolded and I rolled my eyes. "Have you told your mom you made it here?" She asked and I clammed up. "Your mom doesn't know?" Ian asked, confused as hell. He looked back and forth between the two of us then looked down, minding his own business.

"No I haven't talked to her and no she doesn't know where I am," I said, avoiding both of their worried stares. "Why not?" Ian asked and I took a deep breath. "It's none of your business!" I snapped before storming away one more, leaving Aunt Carol and Ian both shocked at my outburst.

"I'm sorry Ian. I'll make you a plate to go," she told him softly. "No it's okay. I'm not going home tonight. It's going to be one of those nights. Wear head phones tonight. Mom may freak when she notices I'm not there," he told her and I frowned.

"Why aren't you going home?" I asked, stepping back into view. His body stiffened and his eyes hardened. "It's none of your business," he said in irritation then looked away. "Thanks anyways, Miss Carol. I enjoyed your company," he told her before hugging her briefly. He was then out the door.

I felt a pang in my heart and I frowned. "Go sweetie," Aunt Carol whispered and I ran out of the house. "Ian! Wait!" I yelled and he stopped dead in his tracks. He never turned around, but I could tell he was waiting for me to speak.

"I'm sorry. You make me nervous and uncomfortable. I don't trust men in general. I'm not comfortable with them or myself," I whispered and he relaxed his stance slightly but never turned around to face me. "Thanks again for the ride home. Bye Ian," I whispered and turned back around to walk back to the door.

An arm snaked around my waist, pulling me back. "If you can't trust me, then I can't trust you," he whispered into my ear before moving away from my body. The coldness caused me to shiver. I swallowed my pride and turned around.

He stood there, emotionless, his guard completely up. "You don't even know me," I told him and he shrugged. "So what? You're different. I like that about you," he said and I frowned. "What's so different?" I asked in annoyance.

His hand reached out and I jerked back from his touch, causing him to frown. "Goodnight," He said coldly and backed away from me. "No, wait," I pleaded and stepped towards him. "I'm broken. I'm weak. I'm scared. I'm used up," I said, choking on my words at the end.

"What does that mean? That you're used up?" He questioned in concern. "Take a walk with me?" I asked, looking anywheres but in his eyes. "Okay," He said, nodding his head in the direction down the road. I started walking with him on the side of me.

"They broke me." He stayed by my side, keeping a safe distance while walking. "Who broke you?" He asked softly. "My parents. They beat me and sold me," I whispered. "Sold you?" He asked with a small voice. "Yes. They let a man steal my innocence for money. Money to buy drugs."

His waking came to a halt and he pulled me into a hug. I did my best to relax into his touch but it was overwhelming. "I'm going to kill them," he growled, lifting my chin. He stared into my eyes, searching for something. "You didn't deserve that," he whispered.

"I don't know why I'm telling you this," I mumbled, looking away. "Don't do that. Look at me. I don't care that we just met, I'm glad you told me. That's not something you want to keep inside. It'll eat at you," he whispered softly.

"I know and I know you aren't bad. I'm sorry I flinch and back away. The horrible memory is still fresh. It happened a month ago," I told him. "I packed my bags and ran for my life, not looking back once."

"When I was heading to class, I saw you sitting there, sad and alone. I saw myself in you. I want to save you Ian," I whispered, looking him in the eyes. "You're a kind soul who doesn't deserve to suffer. You're going big places."

"How can you save me when you can't even save yourself?" Ian asked with a blank expression, all emotions void from his eyes. "Because I believe in you," I whispered while clenching my fists, fighting the urge to cry.

"But why?!" He yelled and I flinched, backing away. "Because if I can help you, then maybe I can help myself along the way!" I yelled back, tears streaming down my face. His eyes softened then hardened again.

"Give up on me Halie. I'm not your problem to fix," he spat angrily. I bit my lip and nodded. "Fine Ian. Be that way," I mumbled, pushing passed him. I walked as fast as I could back to Aunt Carols house, ignoring Ian's calls.

Why did I even care about saving him? Who was I to save someone when I was a lost cause? Why did I feel such a strong pull towards him?

"Didn't go very well?" She questioned in a worried tone. "Not at all," I mumbled in defeat. "I'm sorry I ruined supper. I'd still like to sit down and eat with you," I told her and she smiled. "It's okay babygirl. Let's go eat before it gets cold," she said, standing up and walking over into the kitchen.

I followed behind her, taking my seat. I scooped up some mash potatoes on my plate along with some meat loaf. "It... tastes.... delicious," I said between my mouth filled bites. Aunt Carol laughed and shook her head.

"Thanks sweetie. Once you're done, get a shower and some sleep. Do you have any morning classes?" She asked with a smile. "No, thank god," I told her and continued to smile. "Good. See you in the morning," she said softly before heading to bed. That woman was up to something.

*Sighs drastically* Yet another book with hard headed characters haha.