Chapter 30

Chapter 30

I wake up tangled in warm sheets… with a hand petting my hair. Without opening my eyes I try and swat Darrius’ hand away with my own. It’s a feeble attempt, I hear him chuckle in response and I then open my eyes. I take in Darrius leaning back against some cream coloured pillows with gold edgings, watching me awaken. 

He was so handsome, his exposed chest and abbs were a bloody fine sight, and I was starting to warm to those black leather pants he always had on. 

I wasn’t ever going to tell him that, I wouldn’t be able to handle the smug look bound to take over his face.

“Hello, sleepy head,” Darrius tugs lightly at a strand of my black hair and I sit up, swatting his hand away for the second time. 

“Don’t do that,” I groan out, rubbing the sleep away from my eyes. I try not to notice Darrius’ scowl at my protest of his constant touching of my hair. 

“Jennifer!” Claudia’s familiar voice makes me swivel my head around quickly to the side to see Claudia and Johnathan sitting around the couches near the fireplace which is roaring away, omitting warmth into the rest of the room. Claudia is giving me a massive grin.

“We’ve been waiting for you to wake up!” She says, getting to her feet. She motions for Johnathan to stand up also and I give Darrius a raised brow. Why were these two waiting for me to wake up?

“What time is it?” I ask groggily as Claudia and Johnathan walk over to the bed, holding a small wooden box. I push some of the blankets away from me, sitting up further. I give Darrius one long look, assessing his mischievous smirk. I decide to climb out of the bed, considering I can guess what sort of thoughts were going through his mind with me currently in his bed. As I try and crawl out, the bed slants behind me and two strong arms wrap around my waist and pull me back. Darrius pulls me onto his lap, and he quickly nuzzles his nose against my neck, breathing in my scent. I sigh and I settle back against Darrius wide and strong chest, giving Claudia an irritated look as I stare up at her through strands of messy hair flopping onto my face.

 “You’re not going anywhere, beautiful,” Darrius leans up to whisper menacingly in my ear, with an edge of humour. I roll my eyes and Claudia gives Johnathan a smile before looking back to me. 

“You’ve been asleep all night and all day, Jennifer,” Claudia says, leaning on one of the posts that rose up from the right corner of the four-poster bed.

“What time is it?” I ask, worried.

“It’s midnight, you’re adjusting to staying awake in the night hours and sleeping throughout the day,” Johnathan answers, he walks around the side of the bed to hand me the small box he is holding. I reach out and grab it while Darrius keeps his arms locked iron-tight around my waist, keeping me from scrambling away. 

“What’s this?” I ask.

“A gift,” Claudia says, grinning.

“You can leave now, Claudia,” Darrius looks up and glares at Claudia, “You gave her the present.” 

Johnathan sighs in reaction to his brother’s dismissal of Claudia, but she just glares back at Darrius.

“No, Darrius, after she’s awoken properly she’s coming with me,” Claudia states, “I’m going to help prepare her, this is her last night of freedom.”

“Wait,” I say, holding the box firmly but momentarily getting distracted, “If I slept all through the day, doesn’t that mean my wedding is tomorrow night?” I ask, knowing the answer, but wishing it wasn’t so soon.