Chapter 41

Xavier eyes me reclining on the couch with the pillow and I watch him as he walks with a white towel wrapped around his waist as he goes to his cupboard in search of a new outfit.

“I’m hungry,” I say, “Would you mind getting me some food? People often forget the fact that I need to eat –”

“In time…” Xavier cuts me off without even looking at me, while he picks out a fresh white shirt and black pants, “…you will learn not to ask so much from vampires.”

“Um…” I my narrow my eyes as I watch him go to his bed, lay out his clothes then drop the towel from around his waist, “Hey, don’t do that!” I yell out, looking to the opposite side of the room, a hand over both my eyes.

“You are a slave in this palace,” he laughs lowly, “You don’t order me around, I order you around.”

“You are worse than Darrius,” I hiss, my hand still over my eyes, I count to ten in my head. He should be finished now, so why was it so quiet? One silent moment later, a warm strong hand grabs my wrist and pulls my hand away from my eyes. I look to see a well-dressed Xavier standing before me, still holding my wrist, his eyes penetrating my own.

Why did he have to look so much like bloody Darrius?

“You’re blood,” he says while spontaneously tugging on my wrist, forcing me to stand up to face him. I drop the pillow and raise my other hand to rest on his chest. Taking a deep breath I try not to lose my cool.

“Haven’t you heard that my blood is poisonous?” I ask as calmly as I can.

“Haven’t you heard what my special ability is?” He asks just as calmly back, but with a hint of mockery and arrogance.

“Oh, vampires have secret special abilities now, do they?” I ask sarcastically, my cool quickly slipping from my grasp. Xavier chuckles and shakes his head at me, his dark blue eyes still piercing my own without breaking contact.

“No, not all vampires,” he replies, “In fact, only rarely does a vampire have a unique ability. Mine is simply to resist all curses, all poisons, all magic. Your blood will not harm me, in fact, yours will probably taste unique. I can smell how sweet it is,” his voice drops an octave and I remember to breathe again.

“Xavier,” I say his name, trying to think of anything to stop him from drinking my blood, “I don’t want you to drink my blood and Darrius won’t approve.”

Xavier pauses for a second, his eyes still not leaving mine.

“Jennifer,” he replies, “Darrius will approve.”

“How would you know? You haven’t even been here for a long time, from what Maximus said –”

“Don’t try and change the subject,” Xavier interjects, his eyes scolding me, “I’m thirsty, relax and give me your neck.” His other hand comes up to softly run over my hair and pull my head back. I stiffen as he leans in closer and his warm breath flows over my neck.

“Please, don’t,” I whisper, feeling totally helpless. I didn’t feel comfortable giving him my blood when I was married to his brother.

“Relax,” he whispers, two sharp points slowly brush my neck.

I close my eyes.

Fangs slowly sink into my neck and I wait for him to start coughing, chocking, anything. Instead he drinks my blood for a brief second before releasing me. He gives me a judgmental look as he stares down at me, blood dripping down either side of his mouth.

What the hell?

“What?” I snap; annoyed he is alive; irritated he doesn’t look very satisfied with my blood.  

“That didn’t taste very good,” Xavier admits before suddenly releasing me. I move away from him, taking several steps back.

“I can’t believe you’re not dead,” I reply, reaching a hand to my neck, blood still drips from the puncture wounds. He didn’t bother to lick the wounds closed, bastard!

Xavier ignores me and walks past me, going to his bedside table where there is a phone, he picks it up and dials a number. I watch as he completely dismisses me and my discomfort.

“One human, male or female, to my room,” he orders into the phone before hanging up.

“You’re unbelievable,” I say as I watch him now jump on his bed, and recline on the pillows.

“Am I, darling?” he asks.

I just glare back.

His phone suddenly rings on the bedside table and he reaches over and presses the loudspeaker button, not bothering to pick up the phone itself.

“Is there a problem?” he asks.

“Xavier? You really have come back… do me a favour and return Jennifer to my room immediately,” the deep growly voice on the other end does not register with me for a second, as it sounds slightly different through the phone.

“Have you finally escaped those petty human hands, brother?” Xavier asks with a smug smile.

“I’m coming back now. I heard you saved Jennifer, is she okay?” I allow myself to breathe, but I can’t stop my eyes from watering from tears of happiness and relief when I realise Darrius is actually on the other end of the phone line. Alive.

“She is with me. I’m teaching her our ways, since everyone else seems to not be so tough on her. If you give one human power, more will want power. She will learn her place eventually,” I hesitate when I hear familiar masculine laughter from the other end.

“Don’t you dare laugh, Darrius!” I yell out, hoping he hears.

“I’m glad you’re back, Xavier, I can’t believe you’ve been alive this whole time. It’s good to hear your voice. Jennifer? I’ll see you soon, sweetheart,” I listen with disbelief as the call ends and Xavier gives me another assessing glance.

“What’s the matter?” Xavier asks.

“Absolutely nothing,” I lie. Turning around I find my same spot on the couch and sit back down, grabbing my pillow once more.

My neck heals on its own and I grab a tissue from near by and wipe some of the remaining blood away.

Suddenly I wasn’t feeling all too elevated about Darrius’ return.

Mostly because he seemed so happy about Xavier, and from his reaction…

I was starting to doubt that Darrius would care that Xavier had just taken some of my blood. What’s worse is Darrius was amused by the fact that Xavier was teaching me my place.

I sigh aloud.

Bloody, freaking, vampires.

Darrius was on his way back.

Xavier and Darrius would soon be together…

Well, wouldn’t that be a lovely situation? I couldn’t wait.