Chapter 34

Chapter 34

Claudia comes up smiling and gives me one massive, tight hug as Darrius stands back scowling and the human server piles up a plate with food for me. 

“I’m so glad we’re all okay,” Claudia whispers in my ear before letting me go abruptly and standing back to smirk at Darrius, “Why do you look so impatient?”

“He wants to leave to take me away from everyone back to his room,” I explain for him. Claudia rolls her eyes and grabs my elbow.

“Hell no,” she says, “You have to stay and talk to the witches –”

“That’s not happening,” Darrius growls, cutting off Claudia who smiles evilly as she takes the plate of food from the human and passes it to me. I start eating the finger foods first on the side, since they are easiest to access and I was starving.

“The witches were going to perform an immortality spell on Jennifer, remember?” Claudia reminds Darrius, “But now we know she can’t be killed and the witches went to a lot of preparation, they deserve to meet her and talk to Jennifer in person.” 

“They can wait,” Darrius says, exasperated, his hands clenched by his sides.

“Darrius… relax. This is my wedd..ing… and…I want to meet tha…witches,” I talk while I chew, I don’t care too much about manners. I was too happy we were all alive and way too hungry. Darrius looks slightly disgusted, I don’t know if it is because I talked with my mouth full or if it was because I wanted to stay longer to talk to people. 

“She has a point,” I turn around to see Johnathan has appeared behind Claudia’s shoulder and he wraps an arm around her waist, pulling her back against his chest. He has a grin on his face as Darrius glares back, “Jennifer should meet the witches and talk to others that want to meet her. She is a likeable person, if people get to know her she might be able to make some more allies and less enemies.” 

“Good point,” I add in, smiling at John’s reasoning as I lick my fingers clean of some crumbs. I hold out the plate to Darrius, “Do you want to hold the plate while I meet the witches? I still need to eat.” With a hard look in his eye, Darrius comes to my side, takes the plate from me and puts his other hand on the small of my back. 

“Fine,” he growls out, pissed off, “But you’ll be making this meeting quick so I get to spend some time with you.” I grin because I’m happy he decided to agree to the meeting. 

“Where are the witches?” I ask Claudia. 

“Follow me. They’re not far from us. They have unique tattoo’s at the corner of their eyes. They are a friendly but powerful group of witches. They agreed to do the spell for you in order to meet you. I haven’t told them your immortal, only that we decided to keep you human.” I nod and Claudia and Johnathan lead the way to the witches. Darrius walks stiffly beside me.

“What’s the matter?” I ask as I walk with him. I pause for a moment as a feeling of nausea suddenly rolls through me and then quickly passes within a second. What the heck?  

“I just want to get you safely back to our room,” Darrius explains, turning to eye me with curiosity when I suddenly halt altogether and grab his suit at the elbow. I look down to my finger and see the ring’s red rubies have lit up and the gold warms up against my skin, “Jennifer?” He asks. I meet his eye, suddenly worried.

“My ring,” I say, “I’m in danger.” Darrius quickly shoves my plate of food to the nearest guest, making them hold it without question and he grabs both my arms, pulling me in close as he scans the people around him. Claudia and Johnathan have halted too, looking back at us through the crowd with questioning glances. Owen suddenly appears beside them and has a stern look in his eye. They notice him and he starts talking rapidly to them, sounding a little more than angry.