7. At Your Service

After a few hours, I have to get ready for my night shift at the diner. I throw on my black, dress pants and white, button-up shirt, and then I toss my hair up into a bun.

Just before I leave, I glance over at Rory sitting on the couch. "Do you just live here now?" I ask, jokingly.

He laughs. "I'm waiting on Jade. She will be here soon."

I nod. "Tell her I said hey. I'll be back when my shift is over."

After I clock in, I hit the floor and begin to take orders. "Hello, my name is Salem, and I will be your waitress for the evening. Do you know what you would like to drink?" I say, resisting the urge to roll my eyes. I've already said the phrase twenty-something times tonight. The bills have to get paid somehow though.

A man with dirty blonde hair, who looks to be around forty stares up at me, and I can tell that he is undressing me with his eyes. "I'll take a tall glass of you, Baby," he says in a flirty voice as he leans over.

There it is- The most disgusting and ridiculous thing a customer has ever freaking said to me. And the worst part? I have to laugh about it. He laughs with me, even though I can tell it's not a joke. "Is Pepsi fine?" I ask him, smiling, as I try to veer away from the dumb comment.

He nods. "Yea, that's fine."

I nod. "Alright, I'll be back to take your order in a bit." I quickly make my way back to the kitchen. "Is that burger done yet?" I call back to the cook.

"Couple more minutes," he replies.

"Alright," I say, beginning to untie my apron. "I'm taking a quick bathroom break. Kate, cover my tables. I'll just be a minute."

Kate nods at me. "Gotcha, Girl."

I hang my apron over one of the hooks and rush to go pee. When I'm done, I wash my hands, and then I head to the supply room to grab another bag of ketchup packets real quick.

"Where are those packets?" I mumble to myself, scanning my eyes over the shelves. When I hear the door open behind me, I turn to see who enters.

"I made him leave," Colvin says in an angry voice. His face is red.

"What are you doing here?" I snap, shocked. "And what are you talking about?"

He continues to walk closer to me, and I back up. "That asshole that was about to jump across the table and rip your top off? He's gone."

"Wh-what?" I exclaim, throwing my hands in the air. "Why would you do that? He was a paying customer! He was probably going to tip good, too! I don't do this job because I like being eyed like a piece of meat. I do it because I have bills to pay, Colvin."

"He's lucky that he left in one piece!" He barks, scowling.

"Leave! This is my job. I don't care if you think that you have some kind of claim over me or not, but you can't be doing this at my workplace!"

"Does that happen a lot?" Colvin asks, glaring at me. "You being hit on?"

I nod. "Yes, and I'm nice to them, so it gets me more tips. Now, leave."

He smiles, and I get a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach. "Fine, Love. I'll leave." He pauses, and I am about to shove past him and just forget about the ketchup. "But you're coming with me."

"Wh-" I begin to ask him what he means, but out of no where, the sound of wind rips through the supply room and product begins to shoot off the shelf, flying past me. I scream, dodging a bag of potatoes. As soon as I evade to the left, I feel Colvin's arms wrap around me. "Let me go!" I shout over the whirring sound.