20. Choices

Later in the night, Colvin and I sit on the couch, cuddled up under a blanket. "I need to text Rory and see if he has had any luck with Jade, yet," I say, pulling out my phone.

When I look at my screen, I already have two texts from him. It's around 11:30 pm right now, and both messages are from 10:54 pm. I open them and read.

*Rory: Hey, so I found Jade. We should be home soon.

*Rory: She was at Waffle House. I'm talking to her now...

"Rory found Jade," I say, glancing over to Colvin.

He smiles over to me. "That's good, because we need to return to the demon realm, soon. I have business to take care of."

"What kind of business?" I ask, curious.

"Just need to prepare things for the wedding and look at a few different things. Some of it is just the boring part of being king."

I nod. "Alright." My stomach sinks at the thought of the wedding, and I take a shaky, deep breath before texting Rory back.

*Salem: Is she OK? Did the talk go well?

*Rory: I'm not really sure. She just said that she wants to have a talk with everyone when we get home.

*Salem: At least she's coming home I guess

*Rory: I guess... :/

A knock comes from the door a few minutes later, and I get up to unlock it. When I open it, Jade stands in the doorway. Makeup runs down her face, and I can tell that she has been crying. To my relief, she doesn't look angry. I can't quite read her expression, though.

"Jade, are you OK?" I ask, quietly, stepping aside so that she can come in.

She doesn't respond. All that she does is nod, letting her eyes fall to the floor as she goes to the living room. I watch as she walks away, wordlessly, and then Rory comes from the doorway. "She's not talking much," he mumbles.

"What all did you tell her?" I ask, keeping my voice low.

He enters, shutting the door behind him. "I just told her that everything that I have felt for her was real, even if it started as a sit-up, and then I told her she has til tomorrow to decide."

My jaw tenses as I think about the outcome of either choice. "What do you hope she chooses?" I whisper after a moment, glancing up at him with scared eyes.

He takes a deep, heavy breath. "I-" He hesitates. "I don't know, honestly. I will support her in anything that she does. I don't want her to become a demon, but I also don't want her to die."

I nod. "So, our plan is just to support whatever she decides?"

He nods back, solemnly, and we exchange a troubled glance before heading into the living room. As we enter, Jade and Colvin are already having a conversation. Both display serious expressions on their faces.

"So, all I have to do is leak some of my blood into some old cup and let you drink it?" Jade asks, scrunching her nose at the last part. Colvin nods. "OK, I thought you were a demon- Not a vampire."

Colvin scoffs. "I'm not a vampire, but it's a blood sacrifice. Before, I will have to kill you. I've done this for a while, though. Trust me. I know how to make it quick and painless."

"And, what happens next?" She asks. Rory and I exchange odd glances, both not knowing how to feel about this.

"You wake back up in your body, and you have eternal life. You are still able to die, but if you are careful, you can live forever. You will feel stronger, faster, and more energetic. You will have your own set of duties in the realm to balance the universe back out after it loses the human part of you, but other than that, you are free to live your life."

For the first time, Jade's eyes flicker over to us, and I tense up. It's quiet for a moment. "You guys had no choice in the matter," she states, quietly. "I needed a sec to calm down, but I understand."

Tears spring into my eyes. "So, you're not mad at me?"

She shakes her head, giving me a small smile. "I'm not mad at either of you." Her eyes find Rory's and her smile falls. "I don't know how I feel about us at the moment, but I'm not mad at you."

He nods. "That's all I want. We can figure the rest out later."

"Alright, let's go," she says, standing.

"Right now?" Colvin asks, surprised.

She nods. "Yes, now. I'm not sitting around and waiting for this. I want it over with."

"Don't you want to enjoy at least a few more hours as a human?" Rory asks, concerned.

"No," she snaps. "I want this done."

I don't object. I would feel the same way.

Colvin stands, letting out a deep sigh, and then stands. "Follow me. I'll open the portal."

A/N: Hey, Guys. Sorry for the short update. I have to go to work soon, and I just wanted to give y'all something to read. The next chapter will be longer, and if I'm not too tired after work, I'll update then! Thank you so much for reading, and there are better and longer chapters to come. Though we are close to the end of the story, I still have a couple more things planned, too! xx