13. A Union of Two Souls

"No, Salem. You need to stay here and rest for a while," Colvin argues with me in the living room of his castle. "You're only human. Too much of this in a short period of time isn't good for you. I didn't realize that you would be remembering things this rapidly."

"No, take me to the final spot," I object, firmly. "I'm not wasting anymore time. Moskil killed my mother before." My voice lowers. "What if he comes after Jade this time?"

"Rory is back in the human realm protecting her," he counters. "She will be safe with him."

I frown, crossing my arms over my chest. "So, you're just going to lock me away in this dank ass castle like you did with Thara before?"

His jaw flexes, and he steps closer to me. When he speaks this time, his voice is softer. "That's not fair, Salem. I was only trying to protect you then, and that's all I am trying to do now. I've told you before that I can't stand to lose you again. Rumors have already been going around that I have found you again, and Moskil will catch wind of them soon, if he hasn't already."

"Why are there rumors about us?" I ask, confused.

He sighs and takes a seat on the sofa. I plop down beside him. "I'm a king. Every king needs a queen. For a very long time, some demons in the realm have questioned my authority and judgment for having no one to rule along side me. Then, it came about that I was searching for a human girl's soul. The demon realm has been curious ever since then about if I would ever find you, and if I did, they wondered what it would be like to have someone who was born human as a queen. It could mean change for our realm, and most are very anxious to find out how it will be."

"I've told you before that we are not together," I mumble, thinking deeply. Pressure from his words begin to sink in. "Just because we have kissed a few times doesn't mean that we are in a relationship."

My eyes rise to meet his, and I see him smiling. "Love," he says, his voice coming out like smooth velvet, sending chills throughout my body. Why does he have to be so damn sexy? It's not fair. "I am not saying that we are together. I am not asking you to be queen of the demon domain. I'm not trying to put any more stress on you than you already have. I am trying to protect you. I won't let what happened last time happen again this time. All I want is to keep you safe, and no matter how much you fight me this time," he says, standing and pulling me up to him. "I will not let you go."

I let his words process for a moment, returning his gaze as I rest against his chest. I will not admit this out loud, but he is right to want to protect me. Jade is safe with Rory, and I need to stay here with Colvin. I died as Thara because I left him. I'm not ready to die in this life. I let out a deep sigh and my eyes close. "I'll stay with you, but this better not take three years again," I grumble.

My eyes fly open as I feel Colvin scoop me up bridal style like he did the night that I dreamed of the cavern. "What are you doing?" I snap, startled.

He grins. "You need sleep. I have men on guard outside."

"I have legs," I say, trying to wiggle out of his arms, but he presses me to his chest tighter.

He kicks open a door, and I glance over to see a large, black canopy bed with soft gray bedding. As he steps closer to it and places me on my feet, that feeling begins to build in my chest again. It's the feeling I get just as I am about to remember something.

The whole room falls silent. I glance over to Colvin, but he is no longer there. I see him as I glance back over to the bed, but I can tell that it is only a flashback. Thara lays beside him, wrapped in his arms, and for some strange reason, I am hit with a mixture of jealousy and longing. Is it weird to be jealous of Thara even though she is kind of me?