Kira's Final

It was a peaceful day in Home country. My name is Kira, I am turning 13 in just one day, just like the others in my sector. I was frightened, knowing what would become of me when I turn 13, along with my classmates. Everyday at school, we'd recite the national anthem, and celebrate the new year which would bring new jobs, new families, and finally The Final.

The Final is a test where my classmates, myself, and the young ones have prepared for our whole lives.The Final is what helps us decides who will continue to move on to adulthood, to a job, and to our own family sector. I myself was afraid for my own final. I wanted to pass my final, along with my classmates, who also were frightened.

The Final involves history, math,and science.The reason why we are afraid? It is because of the failing.When you fail your final, you are barred from becoming an adult, having a family sector, and a job.You would be taken away and killed off along with the other failures.

Today we had the day off of school to prepare for our final. My family sector along with three others have a joined building reserved for each housing sector. There are four family sectors in each housing sector. There is a father, mother, a daughter, and a son in each family sector.

Tonight there will be a festival to celebrate the coming of The Final. I was afraid to go, knowing I might not pass, which is what everyone thinks until they pass. When you fail it brings shame to your family sector and to your school. When you fail, your name is forever shamed. So most family sectors do not use the same name when given their next child to replace the failure in the family sector.

During the festival, recreation activities for the young ones consist of chemistry, mathematics, and a recreation of the founding of our Home Country. While the soon to be thirteens will take part in Jeopardy. Then the students, the young ones, and I will feast on roast chicken, duck, with a side of mashed potatoes, and with a glass of milk.

The people then leave for their family sectors to ready for the next day. The rules state that we may have dreams, but must recite them as best we could so they may be recorded to ready us for our to be careers. We get our resources by growing, harvesting, and breeding in our community. We all get our electricity by power windmills.

Our rules in the community are as followed

No recreational activities until homework and daily teachings are finished

You may dream, but must recite your dreams to be recorded

If you fail your final you are to be taken away from you family sectors and must always give us your consent to take he/she away.

You may NOT try to leave the community or you will be stopped immediately

You are safe here

When reciting the rules the last two sting me inside. I wished to know what was outside of our community. I didn't want to fail my Final, but I feared the worst was coming to me. We have 3 elite groups in our community; the leaders, the perfectionists, and finally the gifted.

The gifted elites are children and thirteens who have certain abilities better than most in their sectors. They are treated with respect along with their family sectors who birthed and raised them. When you are considered a gifted elite you are prohibited from the final and barred from regular jobs and family sectors. Instead you are paired up with other gifted elites to bare more gifted elites. As for jobs, they grow to study different things than most, such as leadership, geography, infrastructure, and green house building