14 - Truth Behind the Curse

Um, okay, I need help.  Wattpad is being weird and making the chapter before this private and I dunno what to do to stop that.  Could someone please help me :(

__________________________

The forest was relatively quiet.  Sunlight slowly trickled through the heavy green canopy.  Animal occupants were beginning to arise as the new day arrived, coming out with the sun.  The birds' songs began softly in the background, intermingling with the occasional land dweller as they left their homes.

Its peace was suddenly disrupted as the clash of metal against metal rang through the air.

Ino faintly noticed the squirrel the collision sent scurrying away in fear, but then her eyes focused on Kaine and Taiki once more.  Taiki stumbled back, his eyes narrowed in annoyance.  His free hand was always twitching either toward his kunai pouch for an invention or towards his mouth for reasons unknown to Ino.

"No, Taiki," Kaine scolded.  "I told you, only kunai and taijutsu, nothing else."  The dark haired boy jumped forward, bringing his kunai down in a wide loop.  Taiki quickly, though at an odd angle, deflected the weapon with his, but it left him completely open.  It was taken, Kaine's foot slamming into Taiki's ribs.

Taiki winced, stumbling away while clutching his side.  Annoyance was clear on his face.  He attempted another charge, but Ino was slowly losing interest in the fight and didn't really pay attention to the outcome.

Her gaze began to travel to the two distanced from the group, standing a few meters behind Hime while whispering to each other.  Ino knew just what their topic was – whether or not she – and Taiki - would hear about Ryu's secret.  Or had they already began to discuss it without telling them?  Ryu wouldn't do that, would he?  Raido didn't appear to be telling Ryu anything surprising.

As if sensing her thought process, Ryu glanced at her and smiled reassuringly.  Ino returned it, drawing her legs to her chest.  She needed to have faith in Ryu.  Although she could only partially pay attention, once again she watched the training match.  If she didn't stay distracted her anxiety would only grow.

After a few more minutes of watching small exchanges followed by tips from Kaine, or the occasional one thrown in by Hime, Ino suddenly heard footsteps.  She jerked in surprise.  Instantly she glanced back toward her team-mate.  Sure enough, he and the other Zenjin were heading toward the group of teens.

Ryu's face was a mask of stress and fear, his eyes lowered to the ground.  A bit of blood dotted the side of his lips where, Ino guessed, he had been chewing it.  As Ryu took a seat beside of Ino, she saw he was also playing with his ring.  The sparring match between Kaine and Taiki had come to an end.  They were glancing between Raido and Ryu, waiting for the question that hung in the air.

"This is your last chance to back out," Raido reminded Ryu, also taking a seat.  Before long the rest of his team followed suit.

She had begun to expect it, but Ino still felt relieved when Ryu nodded.  "Yes, they can hear," he replied.  He glanced at Ino, fear still plain in his eyes, but it was also accompanied by something else.  "Please-" Ryu's voice momentarily broke off.  Although his mouth remained open, it took him a while to actually get words out.  "Please don't be afraid of me after this."  Unlike before his voice was down to a mere pleading whisper.

Not only her, but most of the people from their class had always seen Ryu as a strong ninja-to-be raised by the Hokage.  The fragile state she now saw him in, though, made it appear a simple incorrect word could shatter him.  Was he truly that afraid of what he was to learn?  And of how she'd react?  Had something happened in the past to make him even more afraid of learning the truth?