Chapter 1

28th of January

I was in the process of moving to my friend's apartment. We had decided to be roommates as my friend Lisa didn't quite like the idea of me living alone in a big city like New York. I would of course be paying half the rent by working part time at the library. The apartment itself was a dingy old building with 4 floors. Lisa lived on the 3rd floor with only one neighbour who was an old lady with 10 cats. Okay, just 3 but still its a lot in my opinion. Anyway, I was going to officially start living with Lisa from 1st of February. I had known Lisa right from my childhood. Our mothers were the best of friends and so we got introduced to each other through them. We were inseparable  through our kindergarten to school years. But when it came to choosing university, she decided to come to New York for her studies. I, on the other hand, decided to live in Texas for pursuing my degree in literature. It all changed when my boyfriend was caught cheating and I no longer wanted to remain in Texas. Lisa suggested moving here in New York and start afresh. And start afresh I did, by applying to a university in New York which they thankfully accepted and moving in with my best friend Lisa. Lisa worked part time as a bartender at a club to earn the extra cash and so would normally be late home which wasn't a bother to me. The area we lived in or I was going to live in was a fairly safe area with the lowest crime rate.