chapter 15 - Speaking terms

Chapter 15

Emily's POV

"Thanks," I told Scott, as he held open the door for me, which led to the top floor of the mall garage.

He grunted in response as he followed behind me.

Scott and I had been carrying groceries for 3 levels, with no luck of finding our car. We were now on the fourth and final level of the mall. We walked forward, looking around for the car so we could finally go home.

Scott sighed, dropping the few bags of groceries he was carrying, and fished the keys out of his pocket. He pressed the button on the key, and we heard two faint beeps. I looked around to see if I could find where the two beeps were coming from.

A small thump distracted me from looking around. I groaned, seeing a carton of milk fell out from one of the grocery bags Scott put down.

"Crap!" Scott muttered, as we watched it roll under a car.

Shockingly, a second later, it rolled back out from under the car. I narrowed my eyes at the bottle, and saw that it had three claw marks in it, causing the milk to leak out. My eyes widened, as Scott and I simultaneously looked up to the car.

I heard a low growl, and saw movement coming from inside.

"RUN!" Scott shouted grabbing my arm, and causing me to drop the grocery bags I was carrying, and take off around the corner.

Scott and I were now in a full sprint, me trailing a little behind him. I was currently thanking my mom, who forced me to join the cross country team last year.

I was now even with Scott, even though it was getting harder and harder to keep up. I glanced behind me quickly, and saw a figure on all fours chasing after us. Scott and I rounded another corner, but before I could continue running, Scott slowed down, grabbing my wrist and hiding us behind a car.

I crouched down next to him, trying to control my breathing. Scott was holding his hand to his heart, trying to control his heart rate.

"What do we do?!" I asked frantically.

"Follow behind me." He ordered, getting up, and hopping onto a car.

He continued to jump from car to car, causing each alarm to go off, as I ran in the small space in between the cars, and the solid garage wall. Scott waited for me at the end, and led me behind a car on the opposite side of the wall to hide.

I clamped a hand over my mouth to try and quiet down my shallow breaths. Scott looked back around the corner to check if the alpha was still after us. He turned around and shook his head at me, which I'm guessing was his way of telling me we were in the clear for the time being. I exhaled a large breath I was holding in, and rested my head on the back of the car.

All of a sudden, Scott's phone started to play the annoying marimba ring tone. His eyes widened, as he started to freak out, trying to find it.

"Turn it off, Turn it off!" I whispered harshly.

"No, no- stop!" Scott repeated under his breath.

A loud bang startled me, and as I looked up, two hands were grabbing Scott's shoulders, lifting him into the air, and slamming him down onto the car we were hiding behind.

"Scott!" I shrieked, jerking up from my sitting position.

An odd sense of relief came over me, as soon as I saw Derek crouching over my brother.

"You're dead," He stated.

I groaned, bending over and trying to catch my breath.

__________