Prologue

Zaria was a princess-not by blood but by capture. She was abducted in her teens from the western Slavic tribes and kept as a virgin by the powerful warring king, Sharvur. Cruel and strategically gifted, his Scythian armies controlled all the territories in the shadows of the Atai Mountains to the east, some twenty-six hundred years before our time.

Told by the oldest shaman in his land, that as long as Zaria remained pure of body and did not succumb to the lust which permeated Sharvur's court, his kingdom would remain invincible. But like the fanciful tattoos which Zaria had added each year to her supple body, her curiosity and desires increased, threatening to bring down the empire.

In 1993 a team of Russian archaeologists discovered a rich burial tomb on the bleak steppes bordering Russia, Mongolia and Kazakhstan. Frozen and remarkably preserved in the permafrost, they uncovered the mysterious body of a woman they would call the "Siberian Princess." Her body was yet that of a young female, but she had the most compelling tattoos ever discovered in ancient history. This is her story. How she loved and how she died.

* * *

Text and e-book copyright © 2014 Califia Montalvo

All Rights Reserved