[1] Unexpected

February, 2006

Something happened the day I had thought, nothing would really happen.

Hanging my school bag on my shoulders, muttering a bored goodbye to my boring parents, I was walking out of my home.

Like every other day, the houses in the front had their porch filled with the dried leaves of winters. The sweeper uncles were having their morning talk and got back to cleaning the road just as Mr. Bentley, our neighbor on the left came out of his lawn gate, already walking to the left of the road with his dog for a morning jog.

I closed the iron gates and came out of Ryder's nest to finally walk freely on the road. Breathing the soothing air, I smiled up at the grey sky. Last night's struggle to complete my homework was still a funny memory for me.

Being an only child was not helpful when it comes to doing homework. No elder sibling to guide you on your projects, to give you little ideas and to clear any of your doubts on the topics. Still I was proud, I did it anyway.

But it didn't mean, I was progressing.

My parents were getting worried day by day. Having no great jobs, they were doing overtime. Dad was an accountant at a restaurant and mom was a pastry chef there. But for what? Only for me to fail in my subjects. I was letting them down.

Mom was disappointed at me these days for more reasons. She wanted her princess to grow perfectly into a Queen. But I was no princess and she was helpless.

Not having her around to poke me over issues, I took advantage of the scenarios to be not-so-sincere girl. I wouldn't wash my hair at proper intervals, I wouldn't take care of my skin. I wouldn't stretch and go playing with kids, hang out with friends. Instead, I liked indulging myself into stalking celebrities with my stupid social accounts. Being too lazy to make any dish for myself, I would take quick bites from food trucks that comes in way to my school.

This was being continued from last two years almost, when I had turned fourteen. Mom left her job at a bakery because of low income. She gave an interview at this posh restaurant where Dad worked and got selected.

Things changed since then.

Mom was returning home with Dad at eight in the evening. And before that I was living my lonely life to the fullest. Homework turned into watching porn. Self-studying turned into reading erotic books and swaying dreamily into the hot shower.

There are many kind of teens but my parents had gotten aware of my kind when they found my novels in my cupboard. It was the first ever fight between them and me. It was the first ever time, I had yelled at them for leaving me alone in a big house, not caring to ask at night if I had my food, if I am doing great with my friends, if they are planning to surprise me with a vacation plan to Nana's home.

It was the first ever time when I cursed at them, showed them my middle finger and slammed the doors of my bed room, leaving home.

It was Dad who found me sitting blankly at a seat of the society park. He had always been the polite one unlike mom. He had been strict but mom was stricter. When she would scold me for having bad behaviors, Dad would come to taunt me at how it was only theirs fault.

This would only end up at me being all guilty and getting back to home with him, apologizing to mom. A Sentimental session would follow where Dad would make me understand the family's situation and mom would sob over how she missed spending time with me. Making me understand at last, that for living and my education, they will have to continue doing their jobs.

Another session of stern warnings would follow, then.

Not to back away from making good friends, not failing subjects and improving myself as an individual. The most interesting one was when they had warned me of not making boyfriend(s).